What do I need to know before buying an SDS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I bought early on the 436HP and 536HP, and paid the price by having to send both back multiple times to Uniden for RTC, bad display, and even a full audio output failure. I have been waiting for the Whistler LSM scanners, which were just "vaporware" status'd, so I have no been keeping too close an eye on the SDS issues, but I see there are a few.

Is it OK to order new ones now...the 200 humming issue has been resolved, or is in "we will mail you a part" status...display issues etc, anything I need to know about? I won't buy a test rig until ALL the known issues have been addressed in the newest shipments.

Paul

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I have two SDS200's that I bought brand new from Scannermaster and an SDS100 that I bought used. Not a one of the three has given me any issue.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
Anderegg - the first thing you should know in buying a SDS Radio Scanner is , its a Good Choice if you have a lot of Targets that are Transmitting in Digital Simulcast. Its a good Scanner for that.
you should be aware that SDS scanners are NOT Suitable for Listening to AM-FM Broadcast Radio, VHF AIR, VHF Marine and most Analog Services. you will need a Separate Scanner with a Superhetrodine Receiver to do that.
and DONT expect SDS Scanners to do HF or HAM Digital Frequency at all.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I would peruse the various threads (in the Tavern and Uniden Support). All the gripes and some accolades are there.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I am specifically looking for LSM scanners for local Phase I and Phase II systems coming online in my county...these will replace my TV stations fleet of 996T and XT scanners. I am familiar with, and have a deep hatred for, the tri-level scan/hold system from my short time with my HP scanners, but being the only option for LSM...well... #monopoly

I've seen various complaints posted int he various Uniden forums, but was just hoping for an "affirmative" on the issues having been resolved in new shipments...maybe someone by chance knew the serial number range of the newer good 200's with the hum fix from the factory etc.

Paul

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
For LSM there is no better option in the scanner world, and I've owned and tested every digital scanner made. There, an affirmative answer.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The DSP audio delay, when mixed with Motorola receivers on same channel (#echoapocolypse), and the extreme bass balanced digital audio, had always put the HP and newer Unidens on my Do Not Buy list...but with no Whistler, again...meh.

Paul

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
Anderegg - the first thing you should know in buying a SDS Radio Scanner is , its a Good Choice if you have a lot of Targets that are Transmitting in Digital Simulcast. Its a good Scanner for that.
you should be aware that SDS scanners are NOT Suitable for Listening to AM-FM Broadcast Radio, VHF AIR, VHF Marine and most Analog Services. you will need a Separate Scanner with a Superhetrodine Receiver to do that.

Hmm, there must be something wrong with my sds100 because very analog systems I have tried listing to performed better than my bcd436hp before it was sent to Uniden for clock a d display recall. Afterwords comparisons have them equal. Depending on where I set the scanners, provide they set to scan the exact same thing with nothing added to the sds100.

Last edited:

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
The SDS may not have the greatest analog performance overall, but it's acceptable in context. This is a Swiss Army knife scanner. I'm thankful for the fact that I can have my favorite analog stuff in rotation WITH the LSM stuff, that's the beauty of the scanner. But there is a compromise, and in a high RF environment, on weak signal analog stuff, there are a few issues with intermod, bleed-over, and white noise in the audio of weaker transmissions. Those serious about having good LSM reception AND the best analog reception will have a separate scanner handy. My BCT15X is a cheap and dependable companion to the SDS200, under $150. There is no such thing as one scanner that is perfect at everything.

For those who prioritize analog over LSM, and are only willing or able to own one scanner, then I guess you will have choppy LSM audio in the process unless you live in a "sweet spot". Perfection is not possible at this point, only degrees of compromise....sort of like life in general. The SDS might not be IDEAL for analog, but saying it "isn't suitable to listen to analog" isn't correct.

ansky

I bought my SDS200 from Police Scanner Outlet (on Amazon) about 3 weeks ago and I have not had any problems with the hum noise or any other hardware issues. It is working great on simulcast. I would say that greater than 90% of simulcast transmissions are clearly audible. I have occasional intermod issues on UHF analog (particularly in the 460-480 MHz range) but it is not bad enough that I feel the need to own a separate scanner for UHF.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
I love the performance of my SDS200 and it works great for everything I do with it. I live in Oneida County NY and I can hear six counties of radio traffic to include a VHF P25 Phase II system and numerous UHF P25 Phase I systems in the surrounding counties. Additionally, the analog traffic (both VHF and UHF) from these same counties is crystal clear. I haven't put them side-by-side for a true comparison, but my SDS200 seems to have a better receiver than my BCD536HP. Maybe the colors are louder... :giggle:

Bob1955

The DSP audio delay, when mixed with Motorola receivers on same channel (#echoapocolypse), and the extreme bass balanced digital audio, had always put the HP and newer Unidens on my Do Not Buy list...but with no Whistler, again...meh.

Paul
Andwegg-Whislter is on the "do not buy list"!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Some people have had issues with their SDS radios, but they are in the extreme minority. Some people bad mouth them and give them bad reviews that don't even own them or have not even touched one. I find that weird. But, the majority of SDS owners are happy with their scanners. I think I read a figure from UPman that out of 2000 units sold, they had maybe 100 complaints, and those issues have been resolved or getting better with each firmware upgrade. So, the negative stuff you hear about the SDS scanners, take it in stride. Buy one from a reputable dealer with a 30-day return policy and see for yourself. I bet you keep it.

JD
kf4anc

brettbolt

Paul
I got an SDS100 Thursday. Overall I like it, and I plan on keeping it unless it breaks. (I hope it doesn't because I just bought the DMR upgrade!).

I'm reading that you are very concerned with audio quality, On some digital channels the voice sounds strange on my SDS100-- like they are talking with their noses pinched shut. And sometimes speech is slurred too. It ranges from clear to hard to understand. I have heard digital P25 and DMR on other radios before and I expected the digital voice oddness. I think it may be due to over compression or weak signal issues, and these problems are shared by all scanners -- definitely not unique to the SDS100.

The main annoyance so far with my SDS100 is the way it saves recordings. It creates one WAV file per transmission and batches them in groups of 100. I left mine recording all night and ended up with a couple dozen batches of files (100 WAVs each). Reviewing the entire nights recordings is a pain, having to select a new file to listen to every few minutes! It should let the user batch them in groups any size he wants, or better yet, one big WAV file.

That being said, I do like the way it shows you all the channel information when you are listening to recordings.

My other issue is that the manual is far too small for a scanner with this much functionality. Only 56 pages of content do not do the scanner justice. What it really needs are step by step tutorials and examples for many usage scenarios.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My other issue is that the manual is far too small for a scanner with this much functionality. Only 56 pages of content do not do the scanner justice. What it really needs are step by step tutorials and examples for many usage scenarios.
If you can program a 436, you can program an SDS100.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The problem with deep bass on P25 is it makes the voice audio on most transmissions very muddled and difficult to understand, especially when you hook up a large Motorola type mobile speaker. On the handhelds, the bass audio causes a lot of case vibrations and audio distortion at high volumes. The Whistlers typically have more tinny treble tone, which means you can crank a Whistler handheld up to max volume without the case rattling. This muddy digital began with the HP series. When you listen to the scanner all by itself, not the biggest issue, but when you start turning 5-6 receivers at once in a car or on a desk, mixed with other receivers that don't have the audio DSP delay, it makes them very difficult to work with.

Paul

I got an SDS100 Thursday. Overall I like it, and I plan on keeping it unless it breaks. (I hope it doesn't because I just bought the DMR upgrade!).

I'm reading that you are very concerned with audio quality, On some digital channels the voice sounds strange on my SDS100-- like they are talking with their noses pinched shut. And sometimes speech is slurred too. It ranges from clear to hard to understand. I have heard digital P25 and DMR on other radios before and I expected the digital voice oddness. I think it may be due to over compression or weak signal issues, and these problems are shared by all scanners -- definitely not unique to the SDS100.

The main annoyance so far with my SDS100 is the way it saves recordings. It creates one WAV file per transmission and batches them in groups of 100. I left mine recording all night and ended up with a couple dozen batches of files (100 WAVs each). Reviewing the entire nights recordings is a pain, having to select a new file to listen to every few minutes! It should let the user batch them in groups any size he wants, or better yet, one big WAV file.

That being said, I do like the way it shows you all the channel information when you are listening to recordings.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber

I've been sitting here listening to Jefferson County, NY Sheriff's Office, as well as Watertown City FD. JCSO is VHF and WFD is UHF. Both sound excellent. I have also caught the Jefferson County Low Band, and the sound quality is just as good. I have one of the first radios as well

budevans

The problem with deep bass on P25 is it makes the voice audio on most transmissions very muddled and difficult to understand, especially when you hook up a large Motorola type mobile speaker. On the handhelds, the bass audio causes a lot of case vibrations and audio distortion at high volumes. The Whistlers typically have more tinny treble tone, which means you can crank a Whistler handheld up to max volume without the case rattling. This muddy digital began with the HP series. When you listen to the scanner all by itself, not the biggest issue, but when you start turning 5-6 receivers at once in a car or on a desk, mixed with other receivers that don't have the audio DSP delay, it makes them very difficult to work with.

Paul

The SDS scanners do not have the traditional Bass sound. Some folks complained that it's too much Treble. In my opinion I like the way my SDS-100 sounds. It' very close to my PRS-500 which is the best sounding scanner that I've owned.

brettbolt

Paul
It would be nice if they had bass / treble adjustments. But for me the biggest problem with the SDS100 audio (and probably all other digital scanners) is that can sound slurred like they're drunk, or they are taking with their nose pinched. I think its just an artifact of speech compression / decompression.

Since in the past you returned your Uniden 436HP and 536HP scanners, I would highly recommend listening to an SDS100 (or 200) in person. Ham Radio Outlet in San Diego should have some for you to listen too.

Status
Not open for further replies.