What do I need to listen to a launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
First, I tried searching this forum for the answer but the search function doesn't seem to be working for me; I get a blank page back. Grrrr. So, here goes...

My girlfriend is heading to Florida specifically for a launch and wants to be able to listen in. What equipment will she need? Are the frequencies conventional or trunked? Analog or digital? Encrypted? (I hope not otherwise this whole point is moot.)

I've seen lists of frequencies on milaircomms.com, including a list specific to KSC, but my knowledge of scanning is itself pretty basic so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

If you can go so far as to perhaps recommend a model of scanner (preferably handheld) I'd appreciate that, too.

Thanks!

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean I can't buy a digital scanner up here? They're for sale at both Radio World and Durham Radio. Or am I missing something?

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
That page is very dated - it was written by a guy who isn't even supposed to be doing anything with radio anymore (long story);

Here is the MT article which should be more up to date;

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/Monitoring NASA and Space Communications.pdf

and also check out

East Central Florida Scanner Page

73 Mike

Cheers for the helpful information. I already had found monitoringtimes.com but the East Central Florida Scanner Page is a new one for me...and seems chock-full of good info. Thanks!

That page is very dated - it was written by a guy who isn't even supposed to be doing anything with radio anymore (long story);

Dude,,
you cant leave that post open ended,,
cummon now,we All love a good yarn..
got a link to a article?

is it like the phone phreaker,,i forget his name,,
cant touch a keyboard anymore...

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Yes you are missing something. As per industry canada you and I are not allowed to purchase a digital scanner.

Aw jeez - not again. And not in this thread.

There is nothing preventing you from buying a digital scanner in Canada.

Ref-Jazzy

Dude,,
you cant leave that post open ended,,
cummon now,we All love a good yarn..
got a link to a article?

is it like the phone phreaker,,i forget his name,,
cant touch a keyboard anymore...

Youre thinking of Kevin Mitnick. Most of what was in the news about his was propaganda and lies. He now operates a security company.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Yes you are missing something. As per industry canada you and I are not allowed to purchase a digital scanner.

First off, you are allowed to purchase one in Canada. I don't know where you got this info from but I personally have 4 digital scanners that I am enjoying.
Second, this is not the place to discuss this, lets get back on topic.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.