What Do I need ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

obeone4046

HI I'm a returning listener to the Buck's county Pa area. I found out that fire,police,and phila fire are now digital. Can someone tell me what I need to pick up these calls.

obeone

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In addition, you should know that the Philly system is optomized to work best in and around the city. Once you get too far away in the burbs, I understand coverage diminshes rapidly. Depending on where you are, you may need an 800 mhz beam (with appropriate cable) to receive them well. Our Pennsylvania forum, as well as the Phillyscanner Yahoo group, has more info on this.

73 Mike

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ka3jjz said:
Once you get too far away in the burbs, I understand coverage diminshes rapidly.

And as time goes by there are less and less interesting comms to listen to. All the pursuit and chase and "blood & guts" comms are a thing of the past, in most counties (saving myself;)

Most of the sensitive comms here in Delaware county are via Nextel cellular and soon, with "OpenSkyIsFalling," and encrypted comms taking over, there'll be nothing left of interest to scan, 'cept CB and marine, etc.

And we'll be left to wonder "what's being covered up by public services that our tax dollars are paying for that 'should be monitorable' to keep a public check on the systems in place?"

Tyranny is shaping up to be a *****, isn't it?!

Do you need a digital scanner to listen to license plate checks? I defer to scannists in your county since I can't pick up those comms.

A morning over-caffeinated observation presented by

Andy
Scannist

CommJunkie

Boomeranger said:
Most of the sensitive comms here in Delaware county are via Nextel cellular and soon, with "OpenSkyIsFalling," and encrypted comms taking over, there'll be nothing left of interest to scan, 'cept CB and marine, etc.

I don't think Delco will be changing anytime soon, and there's always good stuff to listen to on private channels and of course, Sector 3! :lol:

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
CommJunkie said:
I don't think Delco will be changing anytime soon, and there's always good stuff to listen to on private channels and of course, Sector 3! :lol:

City of Chester! LOL! I stopped pinpointing incidents on the Delorme map years ago! ;)

Delcom changed recently. The 509-511mHz frequencies they installed are listed on the FCC site with the APCO-25 company in Daytona, FL. So it's "safe" to assume they will be encrypted at some point.

I haven't heard anything lately in that range.

Andy
Scannist

CommJunkie

509-511 sounds like the simplex channels. (Alpha, Bravo, etc) They recently changed all of them except for Foxtrot

Status
Not open for further replies.