What Do You Guys Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boombox

I forgot where you are-northwest? I haven't really given serious DX a try by actually sitting on a frequency where there's no solid signal and waiting for something to bloom out, so I never heard anything past Wyoming! New York would be a miracle more than a fluke for me.
Another problem with the wire now is KSFO on 560 is imaging on 1680. LW is saturated with MW junk every 10kHz. I had this with the old wire antenna too. I don't get what it could be and what I could do for it.

Hi Ridge,
I'm in Western Washington.

There are some stations east of Wyoming that might be audible in SF: 1110 KFAB (mixes with KBND OR here; sometimes has a one second or so delay on Coast To Coast AM); KSTP 1500 (varies from s1 to s3; ESPN sports radio); KXEL 1540 (audible behind a local station here; they play Red Eye Radio latenights); WOAI 1200 (sometimes readable underneath a semi local station from BC Canada; has Coast To Coast overnights); XERF 1570 (often audible with varying levels; Ranchero and Norteno oldies and Mexican folk music); WHO 1040 (often audible here behind a sports station from Vancouver Canada; various news talk shows at night).

There are a few others, but those are the ones I hear the most, off the top of my head.

ridgescan

Hi Ridge,
I'm in Western Washington.

There are some stations east of Wyoming that might be audible in SF: 1110 KFAB (mixes with KBND OR here; sometimes has a one second or so delay on Coast To Coast AM); KSTP 1500 (varies from s1 to s3; ESPN sports radio); KXEL 1540 (audible behind a local station here; they play Red Eye Radio latenights); WOAI 1200 (sometimes readable underneath a semi local station from BC Canada; has Coast To Coast overnights); XERF 1570 (often audible with varying levels; Ranchero and Norteno oldies and Mexican folk music); WHO 1040 (often audible here behind a sports station from Vancouver Canada; various news talk shows at night).

There are a few others, but those are the ones I hear the most, off the top of my head.
OK that's where I thought you were. With the exception of 1110 because there's a powerhouse on 1100 here, I think I've heard a couple of those others but didn't trip. On 690 I get a station out of BC when a Spanish one goes fade.
BTW really having a good time with the new wire on the R75 in the living room. Went up there onthe roof today and weather-sealed the connections and shot the mount/groundpoint with my trusty can of Flexseal:D for the long haul. It's officially in operation.

ridgescan

Just for fun I did a little video showing reception of WWCR Nashville on 4840kHz; first on my R71a to the Wellbrook loop antenna; then the R75 in the living room to the 100' endfed wire antenna. You can see that the wire antenna got much cleaner and more solid copy than the Wellbrook, even when I redirected that loop. There are other instances where the loop does better on stuff. It's pretty cool to have more than one antenna!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyl4RDf4XJc&feature=youtu.be

ridgescan

Can't have too many antennas... or radios. :)
Actually I can feel I'm pushing the seams pretty hard with both being this is a 1 bedroom apartment. I found myself questioning my own sanity regarding this but luckily my girlfriend assured me I'm ok now but "don't you dare get any more!"

btw, what is that model aircraft by the R75 ?... C-54 perhaps ?
Good eye! Yes it's an all metal, very old, actual Douglas replica of a U.S. Navy C-54 air transport-the "142 Alameda".

WA8ZTZ

Good eye! Yes it's an all metal, very old, actual Douglas replica of a U.S. Navy C-54 air transport-the "142 Alameda".

wow, that is cool, looks like it may be a Douglas Factory Model

was in a Navy squadron that flew those before we upgraded to the C-118 ... many years ago

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I use a pixle loop and swear by it.

The wire may give you a bigger signal but a lot of it is noise.
I find the loop had a quieter noise floor.

And I find that the big advantage of the RF Pro-1B loop. The ability to rotate the loop to null out local noise, which in itself has been a major plus for me. At time, it will not null out all the local QRM, but it does a great job on the majority of what I face.

--
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.