What do you like about the new State P-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

usswood

I love the fact that all radios are programmed by the county number of operational use (except for state radios ;) ) !!!!

GTO_04

I love the fact that all radios are programmed by the county number of operational use (except for state radios ;) ) !!!!

Reception is very good on all my scanners, which I find rather surprising for a new P25 radio system. It looks like they got all the bugs out before they went online here (Hortonville tower). That means my G5 can be dedicated to the Hamilton County system (IDPS system 3) while my 396XT and PSR-500 can handle SAFE-T just fine.

GTO_04

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
So far I love the crisp clean audio of true P25, I don't miss the static crackle garble gobbledygook of DOC and DOT on the legacy system at all! I love that ISP has every County TG of the Counties they are operating in in their radios... Though with Johnson County that is messed up right now because ISP radios do not have the latest template that JC has, and ISP Troopers are having to use HMA for on air interop and cant talk direct to JC LEA dispatches.... But they can talk to FD/EMA as that TG still is right in their line up. ISP trooper was requested by JC to go direct on (their frequency), and told dispatch that after JC did their last updates he could no longer do that with his radios, though he could talk to fire, and ISP supervisor then told him to go to HMA and hit them up there. So the Counties really should get back with IPSC and these issues should be addressed to prevent any crisis in the future. All that needs done once that happens is an quick OTAP or touch to ISP D52 radios and golden!

INDY72

Reception is very good on all my scanners, which I find rather surprising for a new P25 radio system. It looks like they got all the bugs out before they went online here (Hortonville tower). That means my G5 can be dedicated to the Hamilton County system (IDPS system 3) while my 396XT and PSR-500 can handle SAFE-T just fine.

GTO_04

Remember Hortonville is an Stand Alone Repeater, whilst the IDPS systems are Simulcasts, so quite a big difference in scanner behaviors there. If you were to go mobile and take those scanners to Boone, Hendricks, or Shelby Counties, you would find some distortion pretty quickly. Depending on where you are in relation to those 3 Simulcasts mileage will vary as to performance. I get Hendricks pretty good but not as good as when they get all towers running and optimized, Boone I have not had any distortion so that's a plus, and Shelby I don't get as well as I did pre P25, though when I do get it, its beautiful sounding. That's the only real issue with any P25 or digital system period. You either get it usable, or you get nada.

W9NES

I am hearing a lot of distortion issues for both Boone and ISP Dist 52. One min the signal is there then the signal goes digital. Scanners are programmed right for P-25 and still have issues.

DJ11DLN

It does seem a bit clearer than the old system. But there are a couple of Dispatch radios around here that randomly go digital while the signal displays full bars. Not always a scanner issue, units in the field will often ask them to repeat when this happens, not sure what's going on with it. Also a couple of agencies I monitor where Dispatch is upwards of 2X as loud as the mobile/portable audio, which is a bit aggravating but perhaps they will get around to tweaking that at some point.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you were to go mobile and take those scanners to Boone, Hendricks, or Shelby Counties, you would find some distortion pretty quickly. Depending on where you are in relation to those 3 Simulcasts mileage will vary as to performance.
I programmed a friend's BCD996T (ancient scanner by digital scanner standards) with the Hendricks frequencies and talkgroups. It hears just fine sitting on a table in his Brownsburg living room using the stock back-of-set antenna. Surprised the heck out of me.

All anecdotal evidence is, well, anecdotal. ;)

WPXN

Premium Subscriber
What Scanners are you using ???? Some scanners sound better and pick up better than others... You should know that by now..

All that needs done once that happens is an quick OTAP or touch to ISP D52 radios and golden!

Any idea how long OTAP takes per radio? Last time I did a batch of Trbo radios it took a while.

If a Hendricks county deputy were to get in a pursuit west on 74 he/she would be on the Crawfordsville system at some point. From what you've said that radio would authenticate and have access, but would the system still activate the Hendricks system on that TG?

From what I've read on P25 that's possible but not always programmed that way. I"m assuming that site to site data is linked by microwave or T1.

INDY72

He would need to switch over to the old system manually which would take 6 to 10 seconds. Its still in one of the zones on the le radios. Think it is still in the fd ones too I will check the template I have.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

And last time I watched an OTAP it took about 3 to 4 minutes once the radio was put on the right TG and began receiving the data. That is compared to the 10 plus minutes that manual touching method took. That was for a complete workup of adding 2 systems, and making a few changes to the one that was already in the radio. So instead of taking an fleet of say 20 radios all day, you put them all on the OTAP TG, and in just a hour or two you are good to go. Which is still forever compared to OTAR which takes less than an minute lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

NESN

Question from the East Coast: most of the counties out here are rapidly moving to 700mhz Phase II systems and are going full encryption for LE. I lost my county last week after 44 years.
I'm tempted to dump all 7 of my scanners onto the market, but I'm planning to relocate to Indiana in the next few years, so I'm willing to wait. My current stash will do SAFE-T digital fine.
My question is: I see this is brand new switch-over and no one can predict the future (especially when it comes to Govt.) but is there any indication that Hoosier SAFE-T will go 700mhz or Phase II in the future? And what is the feeling regarding Encryption in Indiana?
My apologies for barging into an out of state discussion.

INDY72

Question from the East Coast: most of the counties out here are rapidly moving to 700mhz Phase II systems and are going full encryption for LE. I lost my county last week after 44 years.
I'm tempted to dump all 7 of my scanners onto the market, but I'm planning to relocate to Indiana in the next few years, so I'm willing to wait. My current stash will do SAFE-T digital fine.
My question is: I see this is brand new switch-over and no one can predict the future (especially when it comes to Govt.) but is there any indication that Hoosier SAFE-T will go 700mhz or Phase II in the future? And what is the feeling regarding Encryption in Indiana?
My apologies for barging into an out of state discussion.

Phase II begins implementation by 2020. There will be 700 MHz sites over time and 700 MHz talkaround is already in the radios on the p25. Encryption is actually pretty limited compared to many systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

NESN

Phase II begins implementation by 2020. There will be 700 MHz sites over time and 700 MHz talkaround is already in the radios on the p25. Encryption is actually pretty limited compared to many systems.

OK, that answers that. Some food for thought, thank you.

KC9LQV

I have noticed a reduction in range on the control channels. A few towers that I was able to monitor consistently on the old system can no longer be picked up.

DJ11DLN

I have noticed a reduction in range on the control channels. A few towers that I was able to monitor consistently on the old system can no longer be picked up.
I'm actually seeing somewhat the opposite of that. I'm on a hill so I have always been able to monitor a pretty decent number of sites with just an RS800. All of these CC's that were solid on the old system are still solid...and a couple that were very iffy and weather-dependent before have become fairly solid as well. I guess "YMMV" would be appropriate here.

Status
Not open for further replies.