What do you really use your RTL-SDR for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I've had my RTL-SDR for a few months now, and honestly I hardly ever use it much, maybe 2 hours a week and usually only for music or the local police and fire frequencies (in scanning mode). So, this begs the question, am I the only one here that uses it very little? If not, what do you use yours for and how much do you use it in an average week?

jimcob2

Premium Subscriber
Primarily I use mine to find new frequencies using the scanner plugin. I can leave it unattended for a few hours searching a chunk of spectrum and then check the log to see what channels were occupied and for how long. There are probably other ways to accomplish that but thats how my rtl-sdr gets used.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
One runs 24/7 on ADS-B reception. 4 RTLs in a USB hub watch various DMR/P25 systems to log traffic for finding new talk groups. Another used with rtl_433 watches my and all my neighbor’s temperature sensors. Another as a Spyserver shared to the internet. A couple others for random tuning around as needed to scope a new freq or for leisure tuning around the bands or on a patch antenna checking out L-band satellites for AERO traffic.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
I use mine mostly for the spectrum analyzer and finding new frequencies and trunking information. I also use it to read the county fire dispatch pagers so I can see where they are going since everything is encrypted here.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
1 for adsb, 1 for Unitrunker logging 24-7. I have a couple more for just general monitoring and scanning I use occasionally.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
My sdrs are primary to my office based monitoring. I use Unitrunker 2 to log and monitor the local county SmartZone system with an Airspy, and to log the statewide Phase 2 system with a Nooelec sdr. Voice traffic from the statewide system is played via a Linux box running OP25, with a Nooelec sdr. My SDS200s and BCD536 are almost superfluous at this point, although one SDS supplies a multiband feed.

For mobile ops, I use an Dell laptop with Unitrunker 2 and an Airspy Mini to map different sites in a large metropolitan area / megapolis - tons of systems and traffic to be seen and heard. I'm trying to incorporate a Bluetail sdr into the mobile mix; but still trying to work out the kinks.

Last edited:

PACNWDude

Same as many above, my SDR's get used at work and home as a trunking scanner (Unitrunker), and for checking swaths of spectrum for activity (HDSDR) as I am often testing equipment and want to know what is nearby in the spectrum. Work use is roughly 38-40 hours a week and at home probably an hour or two each afternoon/evening.

MCWKen

I've had my RTL-SDR for a few months now, and honestly I hardly ever use it much, maybe 2 hours a week and usually only for music or the local police and fire frequencies (in scanning mode). So, this begs the question, am I the only one here that uses it very little? If not, what do you use yours for and how much do you use it in an average week?

I have one running 24/7 with OP25 for the State P25 Phase 2 system. Instead of speakers, I use Bluetooth earbuds. I am setting up a second machine (Ubuntu) for ATC once I get an antenna capable.

n8zuz

I have 3 total SDRs: 1 running our statewide P25 trunked system, 1 for our local fire repeater both are using OP25 boatbod version on a Linux Mint Laptop. Both are merged together into my own personal audio stream server as a stereo feed: LE on left channel, Fire on right. I also feed just the fire as a mono feed to broadcastify. I have a 3rd SDR that is feeding adsb exchange. All 3 are running 24/7. I have shared my private feed with a few people locally. The broadcastify feed is for the community. ADSB Exchange is for fun.

I really like having my own feed available anywhere I am on my phone. I used to do a feed using a dedicated trunk tracking scanner but I like OP25 for handling that as I can do a lot more audio tweaking to get it to sound good. I don't get the hiss I used to get with the scanner.

ChrisABQ

Three SDR's running 24 hours. Feeding Broadcastify fire/ems feed and LE on private network. Running SDRTrunk and Trunking Recorder for the webserver. Will not go back to scanners, too frickin slow.

Dufus

Is OP25 a hassle to set up? I read a little about it but not much. I use SDR Trunk on Linux and Windows and DSDPlus on Windows.
No it wasn't that bad but I had help from boatbod and others. I set it up quite a while back and haven't tinkered with it. It works good for my local simulcast. I'm sure boatbod and other experts would be your best bet for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.