What do you use for scanning marine frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9MEL

Let me know what you use to scan marine frequencies. I have found that my Radio Shack scanner gets a great deal of interference from the air band. Particularly 156.800 MHz

OceanaRadio

k9mel said:
Let me know what you use to scan marine frequencies. I have found that my Radio Shack scanner gets a great deal of interference from the air band. Particularly 156.800 MHz

Scanners and those from Radio Shack in particular are very prone to interference from pager systems on 156.8 MHz and some other marine band frequencies. The pager interference is a complaint along the entire East Coast and not just your area.

Either a communications receiver or any marine radio will do a better job minimizing interference on CH-16. The higher your antenna from a base location the more likely you are to receive pager interference on CH-16. None of my several scanners were ever worth anything in the marine band for that reason.

Rgds,
Jack

jb872033

I hang on to an old bc-60-xlt-1 that seems to do the trick with a radioshack extendable antenna with the 137-164 portion opened up, had problems with it on the big antenna so i simplified it...about 20 miles from sector long island and hear them well with the scanner...some interesting stuff on there once and a while

JB

K9MEL

I am now using the VX-170 for receive on marine channels and hitting the repeater on Martha's Vineyard, and at this point it is fantastic. I hate carrying two radios on the ferry. I need a hand held to talk to the Harbor master at both ends of the trip. (plumbers crack while making fast). From the previous suggestions it looks like I will buy the standard/horizon HX370S. Thanks for the help. Anyone know where to get the programing software?

73 de K9MEL

ecps92

What Repeater?

k9mel said:
I am now using the VX-170 for receive on marine channels and hitting the repeater on Martha's Vineyard, and at this point it is fantastic. I hate carrying two radios on the ferry. I need a hand held to talk to the Harbor master at both ends of the trip. (plumbers crack while making fast). From the previous suggestions it looks like I will buy the standard/horizon HX370S. Thanks for the help. Anyone know where to get the programing software?

73 de K9MEL

K9MEL

147.345 MHz PL 88.5 West Tisbury KB1QL. Nice group of folks to talk to if you need advice on the island. I have hit it from Buzzards Bay Light Tower and Falmouth. There is a tiny dead spot as you go past Gay Head.

I have noticed that the New England spectrum Management Council listings can be at times, more accurate than The New England Repeater Directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.