What do you use to Monitor the Railroad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railham_CJ

Premium Subscriber
What are yall useing to monitor the Railroad's ?
I use a Icom 2820H (Ch.07 to 97 programed ) and for the base a Radioshack Pro-137 and I'm looking at just for Railroad Monitoring to hear the railroads for a while (even past the digital switch) a Icom F5061 VHF 136-174 MHz radio . 73's yall CJ

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
Kenwood TK-7180 in the car, and a Motorola HT1000 outside of the car. I also have a Motorola Maxtrac for ATCS monitoring (BCP monitoring only for the time being - I will eventually add an additional Maxtrac for MCP monitoring). I am looking at adding a Kenwood TK-2180 or NX-200 down the road, as I lack the capability to program the HT1000 (and 16 channels is rather limiting).

Laxplurr06

I use a Motorola CDM-1250 for railroad and public safety at the house. I am currently getting more and more interested in railroad monitoring.

DPD1

It's interesting how many people use ham or commercial equipment for RR listening. I don't think there's any other service where there's that many people doing that.

Josh

In the car: CDM1550

In the house, CDM1550, XTL5000.

On foot: XTS5000.

Of course, I also use these radios for ham and other stuff as well.

I also have a vintage MT500 8 channel scanning radio that I dust out every now and again.

The list of previous railroad radios I've owned is long too.

CDM1250
GM300
MaxTrac300
Astro Spectra
Spectra
MCX100
MCX100 Railroad
Icom something or other P25 capable VHF mobile

XTS2500
Thales/Racal 25 portable
MT2000
HT1000
HT1250
GP350
GP300.

All but the astro spectra were pretty fine radios.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
i'm super-super cheap, i got a pro-84 with either a rubber ducky, or a wilson little wil antenna when i'm in the car

the little wil is actually a decent cheap option for a scanner antenna, and since it's weather band ready, it receives the railroad band pretty well

Captain_Nojaa

I use an Icom IC-W32A, which I use as my ham radio mobile and which also doubles as my railroad monitor. Florida East Coast Railway is the only railroad I know of that uses a duplex channel system (dispatcher on one channel, train crews on another), and my W32A performs very well in allowing me to monitor both channels simultaneously.

73 de NØJAA

Captain_Nojaa

Railroad Radios

Curious as to what radios the railroad uses in the cab's? ANyone know?

I believe they use a unit called "Spectra" which, if I'm not mistaken, is a Motorola product. As far as I know, all of the Class I's and most of the Class II's use this particular type of radio, although they may use different models. It is capable of transmitting and receiving on two different channels simultaneously in a duplex mode. All of the Class I's transmit and receive on the same channel in simplex (example 3737, or 160.665 MHz on both channels). Florida East Coast Railway (Class II regional; FEC) is one of only two railroads I am aware of that uses an actual duplex operation (example 2844, or 160.530 MHz for the dispatcher, and 160.770 MHz for the train crew). Amtrak (AMTK) often uses two different frequencies at once; one is used for talking to the dispatcher, while the other may be used for inter-train communications. There is one Class III short-line railroad I am aware of that uses the split duplex mode, and that is Akadiana Railway (AKDN) in southern Louisiana.

The Spectra is capable of operating on 99 channels, which includes the 96 railroad channels (90 channels in the US from 07 to 97, and in Canada from 02 to 97). The radio includes a keypad to allow the conductor and/or engineer to alert the dispatcher using tone squelch, to operate radio-controlled switches and gates, and to access a mobile phone patch, for those railroads that use them.

The radio can also be programmed for operation on UHF channels if a repeater is used. I know of one such instance where Southern Pacific in Colorado used a UHF repeater between Denver and Glenwood Springs, given the mountainous terrain. Train crews were instructed to use the repeater frequency when on that portion of the railroad. The railroad placed repeaters in strategic spots so that train crews would never be out of touch with the dispatcher or maintenance crews.

The radios can transmit with a maximum power of 110 watts and can be powered from either 12 VDC or 72 VDC (depending on whether they are used in a ground vehicle or locomotive, respectively).

I hope this answers your question.

73 de NØJAA

PS: I have heard of Amateur Radio Operators obtaining some older Spectra units and reprogramming them for use on 2 meters. As the two radio services are not far apart in frequency (approximately 12-14 MHz), only slight tuning would be required to get a good SWR with one of these radios.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
I believe they use a unit called "Spectra" which, if I'm not mistaken, is a Motorola product. As far as I know, all of the Class I's and most of the Class II's use this particular type of radio, although they may use different models.

It's a Motorola Clean Cab Spectra (or Astro Spectra)

The Spectra is capable of operating on 99 channels, which includes the 96 railroad channels (90 channels in the US from 07 to 97, and in Canada from 02 to 97). The radio includes a keypad to allow the conductor and/or engineer to alert the dispatcher using tone squelch, to operate radio-controlled switches and gates, and to access a mobile phone patch, for those railroads that use them.[/QUOTE]

They don't use CTCSS but DTMF to alert the dispatcher, etc. If you get real fancy some still use tuning forks.

Regards,

-Frank C.

dpm3

At home - Optoelectronics OptoCom controlled by Probe 7 running on an old Windows 98 desktop. At the local railfan spot - Mootorola HT-1000. Bedside - GRE PSR-500. Occasional out and about - Yaesu FT-60

Status
Not open for further replies.