Premium Subscriber
this is my command line for starting my rtl1090

rtl1090.exe /run /multilat1 /nohttp /ser=1 /portbase=31000

this is my setup for data source in virtual radar
1.1 = AVR or Best Raw Feed
1.2 = network
1.3 = Yes
2.1 = 127.0.0.1
2.2 = 31001 <- first available secondary port from the 31000 base declared in rtl1090

If you ever run out of idea for your dongle take a look here

Last edited:

PACNWDude

SDR# for monitoring VHF mostly.

I have an office in the middle of a building, away from the radios used for dispatch traffic. So I use my USB dongle with SDR# software to monitor plane old analog VHF traffic about 90% of the time I am at work.
Sometimes UHF traffic is also monitored, and it also does work well to sniff out access point interference. (I have to switch antennas to do this though.)

A few weeks ago I tried to get it to demod some MotoTrbo radios I have on hand. It didn't do so well. Still trying to find a good combination of hardware and software. Work computer is a MacBook Pro, so it can be touchy at times.

Wally46

Feed Provider
I've used mine for virtual radar. Amazed at how far away I could pick up airplanes. Also used it for just searching the spectrum and FM radio. I'm using it now to monitor our local repeater. When the weather gets nice I will use it for a ship tracker since I live right next to the Mississippi River. And it also looks very nice in the shack with the waterfalls etc. So much you can do with a 10 to 20 dollar dongle.

gog22

Premium Subscriber
I use mine for emergency services scanning. I like to know what's going on in my neighborhood. I've also played with ADS-B, but I'm using the stock antenna from a NooElec R820T and it doesn't seem to pick up anything useful.

RonnieUSA

I use mine for emergency services scanning. I like to know what's going on in my neighborhood. I've also played with ADS-B, but I'm using the stock antenna from a NooElec R820T and it doesn't seem to pick up anything useful.
If You add a larger magnet to the bottom they do much better.
Or at least for me it works, but what I listen to is in the UHF Band.

moonbounce

Maybe you need to move the AF Gain more to the right. Under the configure tab, which box do you have checked I use the RTL AGS and the slider is sitting and 40.2 db.

I use the stock antenna with really good results. It seems that it would be the perfect length for anything above the VHF band. On a really good night I can pickup VHF signals from around 30 Km away with the stock antenna. Also, I will take the little antenna off and screw on one of my scanner antennas, works great.

Moonbounce

gog22

Premium Subscriber
I tried again with ADSB# and VirtualRadar and got some results. I got just a few ADSB ones and cross-referenced with Flightradar24. I live in the middle of town, though, and my antenna is in a ground-level window. I don't know how much better I can do with that setup.

@rbm: I'm gonna guess Whitney Point. Perhaps Greene. Either way, neat! I listen to your feed when I don't feel like firing up SDR#.

mciupa

1 NooElec connected to a ST-2 Scantenna when at home.

Used for:

AM - Aviation
WFM - Stereo FM broadcasts, (if I have idle time with my lap top with a mobile antenna in an isolated area)
NFM - Unitrunker, DMR Decode

Interested in exploring NXDN with DSD haven't done so yet. MOTOTRBO tend to be business users in my immediate area.

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber
S

screamin72

I use both my NooElec RTL dongles for:

Monitoring Law Enforcement
Weather related ie storm spotters and listening to NOAA (162.400mhz here)
Monitor the C.B. band upper and lower side bands.
Monitor 10 meters and send out eqsl cards hoping they get theirs.
Monitor 2 meters/70cm.
Decode A.P.R.S.
Monitor voice communications in the aircraft bands and decode ACARS.
When I am extremely bored I monitor M.U.R.S. hoping for a C.B. like soap opera for entertainment.

davidmaynor

I am a big fan if the NooElec 820T dongles. I have a USRP and a BladeRF for serious work like testing broadband code for flaws, etc... I like playing around with the rtlsdr dongles. I am currently setting up some beagle board black embedded board to run the dongles and stream the data back to a single location.

My goal for April is get to devices to capture a 200KHz signal thats carved into 2 100KHz signals that each device is monitoring. I want to be about to reassemble the signal on my computer. Hopefully this is a cheap way to do real wideband monitoring.

KE4RWS

Basic SDR's but lots of FUN :)

I bought a RTL2832U receiver a year ago for $20 and was excited to get it working but just couldn't get it going. I got frustrated with it so I shelved it for a month until I decided to try again and eventually figured things out. I bought a second dongle, the R820T for $12 and have thoroughly enjoyed it with HDSDR (my preferred software on ancient computer). Recently a dear friend gave me his FUNcube Dongle Pro, which turns out to merely be a standard RTL2832U receiver with a pre-adjusted dll for better listening.

I also tried ADS-B but like some others, couldn't get it to work but admittedly now that I've become more proficient with configuring these little recievers I'm gonna give it another go and I'm sure I'll get them working. I sometimes use it to monitor ACARS traffic, although this is a far less endeavor than ADS-B monitoring which is why I really want to get it working! Strangely, I find that I use these el-cheapo receivers far more than my more expensive radio's (Icom R8500, R75, Kenwood TS-2000, TM-D710, etc), as I only listen anymore. I recently added the Ham-It-Up upconverter with their new extruded aluminum cases they now sell and it works wonderfully with my R820T. In fact, I'm listening to 15 meters as I write this and I personally find these cheap SDR's much more fun to use than traditional style radio's. As a result I'm going to sell my Icom R8500, R75 and Kenwood TM-D710 because I haven't used them in months. A year ago I never would have guessed I would be this impressed with these simple little receivers but they are a lot of fun to use and work great. I really enjoy being able to "see" a more complete picture of the band I'm listening to, and it's quite interesting once you learn to identify various RF signatures in the waterfall display. I also use various software to decode numerous types of digital traffic. I enjoy APRS and traditional packet radio and we still have a local packet group with a great network. I still have a real TNC and a dedicated 2-meter transceiver to "keyboard" with the local packet group but I use the R820T far more to monitor digital activity than my old setup.

Once you figure things out these little SDR's are a lot of fun and provided you have decent antenna(s) you can listen to the world with almost no investment in your receiver gear, which traditionally has always been the most expensive part of the shack :)

Last edited:

reconrider8

Just recieved my dongle yesterday. It took me about 20 minutes to get teh software up and running but man i like it so far. My question is when I installed everything from the pack it gave me SDR Sharp so can i play with sdr sharp also at seperate times of course and not mess up my adsb sharp? Or so i need seperate dongles because i know there was alot of hipe over the driver used to get the adsb working and such

SCPD

QRT
Just recieved my dongle yesterday. It took me about 20 minutes to get teh software up and running but man i like it so far. My question is when I installed everything from the pack it gave me SDR Sharp so can i play with sdr sharp also at seperate times of course and not mess up my adsb sharp? Or so i need seperate dongles because i know there was alot of hipe over the driver used to get the adsb working and such

SDR# has an ADS-B plugin available.
ADSB# Plugin for SDRSharp - rtl-sdr.com

Some folks have multiple copies of SDR#, one for each mode they use. That's to reduce the time and effort needed to adjust when you switch modes.

Too bad SDR# doesn't have "profiles" one can save for each mode or user.

I must have missed whatever "hype" you refer to about drivers. I installed my dongle drivers about 3 months ago and haven't touched them since. But use ADS-B and many other modes without issue as is.

reconrider8

the first time you had to run zadig is the part i was refering to lol but that was my question if i could go on and use sdrsharp with the same drivers used to run adsb#

SCPD

QRT
... if i could go on and use sdrsharp with the same drivers used to run adsb#

Yes. If ADSB# is working, you do not need to change drivers to run SDR#. Nor any other RTL-SDR app that I know of. I've run almost every Windows program I can find for the RTL-SDR, and never needed to change drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.