What does "98 Nora Exceptional" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
I hear this term all the time while listening to Riverside County Sheriff. What exactly does it mean?

swat

With a rough guess i would say its how the unit is fcoming in such as a example

((UNIT)) 98 nora radio check

((dispatch) 98 nora exceptional

thats just a rough guess NOT FOR SURE

iepoker

Hey Brandon,

Those are dispo codes the units tell the dispatcher when closing out a call. I used to have the listing of this somewhere, but cant find it now. RSO's dispo codes are pretty extensive, compared to other towns that have 8-10 codes, they had about 40.

'exceptional' means they didnt take a report... I think.

But, in general, thats what those codes are.

Station51

Thanks

I assumed that it was some type of dispo code because of it use, but never had it confirmed. Thanks Brandon for asking the question.

I miss listening to RSO right now. I'm North of San Francisco, in San Rafael for a few months. Don't have a digital scanner, so I listen to Berkeley on UHF for entertainment.

Be glad to be back in the IE someday.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
10-98 Nora Exceptional

The code "98" is (probably) short for the APCO ten-code "10-98." The code "10-98" means that the responding unit has completed the call/assignment. When an officer arrives at a call/scene, the officer reports "10-97," and when the officer completes the call, the officer reports "10-98."

As for the use of "Nora," this is Riverside Sheriff’s own addition to the “10-98” code. The word “Nora” is the APCO phonetic for the letter “N.” I have no idea what is meant by the “N” at the end of the “10-98,” being that I don’t monitor Riverside; but I would guess that whatever it means, it starts with or has the letter “N.” Maybe it means something like “nothing found,” “no report taken,” “at the scene of an accident after investigation the officer determines there are no injuries,” or something that corresponds to the letter “N.”

The “exceptional” part has got me stumped. “Exceptional” means having an exception, or uncommon. Maybe “[10-] 98 Nora Exceptional” means nothing exceptional to report at the end of the call.

However, the Riverside County Sheriff Department field units range from 1 to 99, so 98 could be the number of a unit. Although, it should be Watch - Unit Location - Unit Number (1 Adam 98).

If it was me, I would ask a Riverside deputy or go to a Riverside Sheriff station and inquire there.

See this web site for a list of Riverside Sheriff ten-codes and eleven-codes: http://www.flashcardexchange.com/flashcards/list/309062

Last edited:

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Riverside Unit Designations

Riverside County Sheriff Unit Designations

Code:
[B]Watch	[/B]

1 Midnight
2 Days
3 Evening
4 Overlap

[B]Unit Locations[/B]

ADAM	Blythe
BAKER	Banning
CHARLES	Indio
DAVID	Hemet
EDWARD	Riverside
FRANK	Elsinore
GEORGE	Norco
HENRY	Desert Hot Spring
IDA	San Jacinto
JOHN	Indian Wells
KING	Transport
LINCOLN	Lake Elsinore
MARY	Perris
NORA	UC Riverside Police
OCEAN	Palm Desert
PAUL	Riverside Police
QUEEN	Hemet Police
ROBERT	Sheriff Special
SAM	Rancho Mirage
TOM	Palm Desert
UNION	Banning
VICTOR 	Palm Springs
WILLIAM	Indio
XRAY	Blythe Police
YOUNG	Coachella Police
ZEBRA	Beumont Police
LA	La Quinta
MV	Moreno Valley
TE	Temecula

[B]Unit Types[/B]

001-099 - Field Units
100-199 - Supervisors
200-299 - Detectives
300-399 - CSO Units
400-499 - Special Details

Last edited:

rananthony04

hello all, I live in L.A and monitor all the time. From what I hear, the term "Nora" refers to Narcotic officers. I know not all agencies use "Nora" for narcotic officers, but as I listen to the operation and listening to other terms being used, i put two and two together.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
rananthony04 said:
hello all, I live in L.A and monitor all the time. From what I hear, the term "Nora" refers to Narcotic officers. I know not all agencies use "Nora" for narcotic officers, but as I listen to the operation and listening to other terms being used, i put two and two together.
That very well may be, but I think with the combination of the 10-98 and Nora, I doubt it. I can't imagine telling dispatch that you are completing an assignment/call and then add the variable of "narcotics" to the coding.

But, if the "98" is a unit, then maybe the "narcotics" would fit for "Nora." But as others and myself have infered, "98" is probably short for "10-98."

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Here is the name and number of the person in charge of the Riverside County Sheriff Dispatch Center, if you want to contact him:

Riverside County Sheriff Dispatch Center
Captain Larry Grotefend
7195 Alessandro
Riverside, CA 92506
(951) 776-1099

EMSJUNKY

10-98 (N) Nora usually stands for clear of scene, no report. (i remeber it as N (Nora) no report) in the bay area... a lot of departments will go 98 Nora with comments on cad... they put a few comments in the cad file on their MDT rather than writing a report.

Now on the EMS side of the spectrum, 10-98 nora means (a) clear of the scene no x-port, and if it is the end of shift, a unit will ask to go nora to the main (HQ).... i remember this one as Nora- No More Calls

hope this helps.

Ham Radio Outlet has a book dedicated to 10 code and dispositions etc for california. Might give one of thier california stores a jingle.

Mick

"98 Nora Exceptional"

A really good friend and retired chief from RSO gave this to me today:

"One of the ways we can close a report (call) is called "Exceptional
Clearance." Some Exceptional Clearance calls there need be no written
report, thus "98 Nora Exceptional" would mean: 10-98 (Finished with call)
Nora (No Report) Exceptional (Exceptional Clearance) Hope this helps"

brandon said:
I hear this term all the time while listening to Riverside County Sheriff. What exactly does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.