What does "eligible" mean when PD is running a drivers license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eg153wftx

As a "victim" of the Texas Surcharge on DLs that was recently repealed. On top of the fine,suspension, or jail time of a certain offenses or points deducted you were required to pay a surcharge to keep a DL eligible for renewal or reinstatement after a suspension once you paid your debt to society.
If after you paid fines to city,county or state for certain offenses you still owed a surcharge to keep your TX DL eligible, if you did not pay that surcharge to the Great State Of Texas, then you where not eligible to have you DL reinstated or renewed even though fines ect were satisfied to the judges or entities rulings.

Firekite

As a "victim" of the Texas Surcharge on DLs that was recently repealed. On top of the fine,suspension, or jail time of a certain offenses or points deducted you were required to pay a surcharge to keep a DL eligible for renewal or reinstatement after a suspension once you paid your debt to society.
If after you paid fines to city,county or state for certain offenses you still owed a surcharge to keep your TX DL eligible, if you did not pay that surcharge to the Great State Of Texas, then you where not eligible to have you DL reinstated or renewed even though fines ect were satisfied to the judges or entities rulings.
Don’t worry, it’s all about “safety”.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
This is on the PD frequency in a small city in east Texas. A snippet of conversation is:

Officer: [Reads drivers license]
(pause)
Dispatch: "[Name] is eligible, Class C, clear, expires [date]."

I get the "clear" means no warrants but what does "eligible" mean? I did a search for this on Google and couldn't find anything since "eligible" is such a common word.

Maybe it has something to do with this service: Texas DL Eligibility Program

-

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Post 21 is the winner! I was able to look it up on Google in detail regarding the state of Texas and number 21 hit the nail on the head!

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
As @Citywide173 stated, they don't take your license from you if you get your license revoked (because it is a state issued ID). Also, in Texas you can have multiple "licenses" which all reference the same license number (Driver's License unless you first had an official state issued ID).

For example, my Hunting/Fishing license, CHL/LTC, and Driver's License all reference the same ID. So if I misplace my driver's license I have alternate proofs of ID that tie back to it (don't try that with misplacing your CHL/LTC though).

I think Citywide173 comment may apply to his location better than TX.
Between my DL and LTC the only common information is personal data and the ID number is different. ("...all reference the same ID") Both my IDs were issued many years apart and now it may be different and possible to have the same ID number if that's what you are talking about.
I would say from the link you can be asked to surrender you ID depending on conviction(s). If not then your DL could be retained and then only for ID purposes and not to drive. If surrendered then that person would be applying for a TX ID card. Which I see as the origins of the original post for having a DL and should you be driving or only IDing. :)

Some light reading of the code for surrendering and DL.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I was making the point that Project25_MASTR was referencing a comment from a person in a different state. No harm intended and I would say we are on the same page, but different states.

n5dki

checked my DL online at texas.gov and it says:
STATUS: Your license status is currently ELIGIBLE. A status of "eligible" means you are allowed to drive if you have a valid driver license in your possession. If you do not have a valid driver license, you are eligible to apply for one. Just stop by any Driver License Office location.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
No record found: Either the dispatcher ran it wrong or the officer gave it wrong.
Ineligible: there is a problem. I was stopped by a very beautiful Trooper who got an ineligible return on my, she called Austin and they said I had an ID card showing. (Can't have two forms of ID in Texas). Went to the Paris DL office, sure enough, and OLD ID card I surrendered was showing not surrendered. They fixed it and the TLETS system shows me as eligible. (She wrote me a warning but said if she ever saw me do what I did again, it would be a ticker and she goes to all her hearings. Seems DPS frown on u-turns on the interstate .... ).

n5dki

unless it has changed, that is called "crossing a controlled-access highway". Same as if you drive across the grass to the right of the roadway to get to the service road. might have changed some of the wording, but that's what it was called back when i used to write tickets...

Status
Not open for further replies.