What does ELT means in CHP radio communication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oc3068

Hi guys,

I have been listening to CHP in the LA area for a while, and on a daily basis the term ELT would come up and I couldn't figure out what it means. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

oc3068

Could it be UTL? That would be Unable To Locate. Don't know ETL either.

Pretty sure it's ETL. Context:

- LA 77-xxx ETL

I thought that could have meant En-route to location, but it doesn't make sense when one time I heard something like:

- LA 77-xxx, FSP is ETL, I'm 97 98.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Exiting Travel Lanes? I have heard hundreds of this type of thing over the years... But ETL is new to me.. ETA yep, ETO, yep, EVA yep..... EVL once in a humorous situation involving Fed Black Helos....

oc3068

Why not just say en route, less syllables. Obviously it's a location.

This is one of the reason why I don't think it means Enroute to location. I've always hear units responding to a call saying "en route", or simply just "10-4"

I've once heard dispatch asking if there's any ETL units, just to add to my confusion.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
As Carlt stated it is Unable to Locate. In the context you stated "FSP is ETL, I'm 97 98"

Freeway Service Patrol was Unable to Locate the vehicle and the CHP unit was 10-97 - 10-98 and cleared.

oracavon

As Carlt stated it is Unable to Locate. In the context you stated "FSP is ETL, I'm 97 98"

Freeway Service Patrol was Unable to Locate the vehicle and the CHP unit was 10-97 - 10-98 and cleared.

Yup, that's it, except that the unit is actually saying "UTL", not "ETL". OP probably just misheard it. Saying UTL for Unable To Locate is extremely common in numerous California Law Agencies, including the CHP. I hear it all the time.

PaulNDaOC

A great place to learn CHP lingo is just by reading incident details on the online CAD site.

Status
Not open for further replies.