What does it mean when the police say "Request a mic number"

Status
Not open for further replies.

activescan

Premium Subscriber
I often hear the police saying can I get a mic number? What does this mean? Can we listen to this part?

Also I am using a pro-89 scanner and want to upgrade to a better scanner. For Hilo. I can spend up to $300. Anyone selling or have an opinion on a good handheld scanner for hilo.

HiloScanners

Hi,
Someone please correct me if I am mistaken but I believe the codes are:

Tango = Traffic
Charlie = Criminal
Mike = Miscellaneous

The unit is requesting what I think is a case or record number depending upon the type of offense, e.g. traffic or criminal or misc.

As far as scanner recommendations, well.... there may be a lot of differing opinions on this one, but if I were you, I would wait till Hilo goes digital, then buy a digital scanner. A new one will run you more than $300 but if your interest is in scanning police/fire/ems/feds then that is the way to go. Of course who knows when Hilo going move to digital....

But if you are interested in just scanning aircraft/tower and other analog signals, then my initial suggestion is to buy a cheaper but good analog scanner such as:

1) BC125AT $150
2) BC75XLT $130

Both are Uniden scanners. Good, reputable, solid radios. You can also get them used online at ebay for under $100 but thats a bit riskier. Uniden used to have a factory outlet where the prices are cheaper for refurbished but I think they took it down or I cant find it but I will continue looking.

Hope that helps you!

Aloha,
HiloScanners

Status
Not open for further replies.