What does it take to hear the Border Patrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john98225

I live near the Canadian border in northwest Washington state. I'm interested in scanning the Border Patrol (like I used to years ago when I was a deputy), but I'm unsure what it takes to do that.

I have a Uniden BC785D and from what I can tell, even if I picked up the P25 card, I still cannot listen to their traffic because it's 9600 baud (and my setup couldn't do that). Is that right?

If that's right, could I hear the Border Patrol if I got a BC786D (or newer, digital model)?

Mick

I've got a BC785D scanner also, and it is Digital Ready. Here's a good list of frqs to plug into your scanner:

Customs and Border Protection - The RadioReference Wiki

I live near the Canadian border in northwest Washington state. I'm interested in scanning the Border Patrol (like I used to years ago when I was a deputy), but I'm unsure what it takes to do that.

I have a Uniden BC785D and from what I can tell, even if I picked up the P25 card, I still cannot listen to their traffic because it's 9600 baud (and my setup couldn't do that). Is that right?

If that's right, could I hear the Border Patrol if I got a BC786D (or newer, digital model)?

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
BC785D Wont be able to 'track' the IWN system.
Since BC785D can only handle 3600 baud on trunked sytems. Can't do 9600 Baud.
but it will still decode the P25 freq. Just can't track it in "Trunked" mode.

Most of the Border Patrol is on this IWN system. & other P25 freqs.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3509

It would be BEST to upgrade to a newer digital scanner.
Since it will do 'Muting' on p25 encrypted. Then you can hear the CLEAR stuff better. Like the 996XT or 396XT

Might want to do a search on this Fed Files blog. In the past they talk about the Canadian border / Washington state area.
http://mt-fedfiles.blogspot.com/
http://mt-fedfiles.blogspot.com/2008/07/northwest-cbp-gone-p25.html

Last edited:

xjf79

FYI
US Border Patrol.... Western Washington State/BC border region.
Repeaters 163.625/163.675 are both out of use....uscbp is 100% on iwin p25 digital trunk system now.
99.9999% of comms are encrypted... some mobile units still operate in the clear.
you'll have better luck hearing your local dog catcher than cbp now... Oh well...ahhhh gone are the good old days of radio listening.

john98225

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your help.

XJK79, that was the SPECIFIC info I was looking for. I know a few years ago when I used to do "ride-alongs" in Blaine, their PD had to get the radios continually changed to the "newest encryption" each month or so to be online with "780."

I guess I'll just stay with my non-p25 equipped BC785D. As far as I know, there's no one in Bellingham using trunked digital - or even trunked - as far as public safety agencies are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.