either side of its centre frequency.

NFM in the scanner sense is the newer 11kHz-wide FM, which
is due to lower (+/-2.5kHz) frequency deviation. Continuous
improvements in technology (better filters, more stable/accurate
oscillators, and audio processing) have made this practical,
even in lower-end radios such as FRS.

Dave

Rico8458

roger that sir. thanks for putting up with us noobs here. we learning fast though, no choice, but to read and learn...

bassmkenk2508

Rico8458 said:
roger that sir. thanks for putting up with us noobs here. we learning fast though, no choice, but to read and learn...

we were all new to scanning once and these forums on RR make it much easier and informative to learn :)

great site!

nexus

Just since you guys opened up a can of worms....

AM = Amplitude Modulation
FM = Frequency Modulation
NFM = Narrow Frequency Modulation
WFM = Wide Frequency Modulation
SSB = Single Side Band
LSB = Lower Side Band
USB = Upper Side Band
CW = Continuous Wave (Morse Code)

doneros

NFM and other Info

I'm a scanner user since 1981 - had a Ham (using a friend's license). But this site, the forums and people who participate in the forums have saved "even" me. (lol). I found this page by searching for the meaning of NFM. I recently bought a BCT8 - gave a friend my old Realistic Pro 2021 --- > had the BCT8 only 3 weeks and decided to go to the BCT15X. Sold the BCT8 to my son. It had a learning curve but that curve was mainly related to trunking.
The BCT15X makes me feel like I just moved to a foreign country and can't speak the language. I set the State a few days ago - then put it on AIR tonight - had to do a "reset" to get AIR off. Could not find a way to get it quit scanning AIR, although it was still scanning my local.
So my point in this post is to thank you all > but to ask - once I got it on AIR, I could not find a way to get to stop scanning AIR. No matter what the service I'd love to know how to take it off. I'm a private pilot since 1979 so have used 2-way communications in flying and using the Ham ... But my first Bearcat in 1981 and the Radio Shack scanner I just gave away make me miss them in a way after the intimidation factor built into the new ones. Still I had to move to the BCT15X - and all the reviews about it not coming with a manual are SO true. The CD has 20mb of "HTML" documents > and navigating through them is harder than filing a flight plan.
Last question: Is there a forum section or other place devoted specifically to the BCT15X because I feel like I just fell through the hole and ended up in some wonder-land. Thanks for this great site and all the info I found when I was using my last 2, most recent, scanners. As for the BCT15X; I'm not sure I should have upgraded after only 3 weeks.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Not site specifically for the 15X but if you post in the Uniden scanner forum it is your best bet to find a fellow user.

SCPD

QRT
Nfm

So my dumb question would be when do you use it? All or I should cay US Forest service and NP when to narrow band , would you use for this?

W2NJS

"I'm a scanner user since 1981 - had a Ham (using a friend's license)."

Someone please explain what in the hell this statement means. I thought I'd seen it all, or at least most of it, on this Board, but this is a new one to me.

nodak1crdet3

I'm a scanner user since 1981 - had a Ham (using a friend's license). But this site, the forums and people who participate in the forums have saved "even" me. (lol). I found this page by searching for the meaning of NFM. I recently bought a BCT8 - gave a friend my old Realistic Pro 2021 --- > had the BCT8 only 3 weeks and decided to go to the BCT15X. Sold the BCT8 to my son. It had a learning curve but that curve was mainly related to trunking.
The BCT15X makes me feel like I just moved to a foreign country and can't speak the language. I set the State a few days ago - then put it on AIR tonight - had to do a "reset" to get AIR off. Could not find a way to get it quit scanning AIR, although it was still scanning my local.
So my point in this post is to thank you all > but to ask - once I got it on AIR, I could not find a way to get to stop scanning AIR. No matter what the service I'd love to know how to take it off. I'm a private pilot since 1979 so have used 2-way communications in flying and using the Ham ... But my first Bearcat in 1981 and the Radio Shack scanner I just gave away make me miss them in a way after the intimidation factor built into the new ones. Still I had to move to the BCT15X - and all the reviews about it not coming with a manual are SO true. The CD has 20mb of "HTML" documents > and navigating through them is harder than filing a flight plan.
Last question: Is there a forum section or other place devoted specifically to the BCT15X because I feel like I just fell through the hole and ended up in some wonder-land. Thanks for this great site and all the info I found when I was using my last 2, most recent, scanners. As for the BCT15X; I'm not sure I should have upgraded after only 3 weeks.

I would try this site that has easy to read scanner manuals.
Mark's Scanners

Easier to Read BCT15-X Scanner Manual

From what I've read. Looks like you press MENU & then L/O or Scan to back out of what your listening to.
That's weird? Glad I don't have one of these new fangled scanners. ;~)

Status
Not open for further replies.