what does software do for my scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

php111

Hi,

What does software do for my pro-528? Is there any software that is freeware? What if I don't have the cables? Can the software also scan for list of frequencies or does the software is mainly for to transfer the frequencies into my scanner?

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
php111 said:
Hi,

What does software do for my pro-528? Is there any software that is freeware? What if I don't have the cables? Can the software also scan for list of frequencies or does the software is mainly for to transfer the frequencies into my scanner?
Software helps you set up your scanner with the stuff that you want in it, and yes you will need a cable to program it with software, and I do not not think it will be free, here is a link about your scanner. and software for it. I myself have never used a pro-528.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-528

And from what I know the scancat software would not be the way to go.

Last edited:

php111

Thank you for your reply. I don't have the money to buy it and if I did I don't cables. I thought maybe without using the software to program it maybe it will let me scan and I manually put the frequencies in? If I software can do that then I would need it freeware cause I don't believe in getting any kind of debit or credit cards and order. It's cash or nothing.

lowboy654 said:
Software helps you set up your scanner with the stuff that you want in it, and yes you will need a cable to program it with software, and I do not not think it will be free, here is a link about your scanner. and software for it. I myself have never used a pro-528.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-528

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
php111 said:
Thank you for your reply. I don't have the money to buy it and if I did I don't cables. I thought maybe without using the software to program it maybe it will let me scan and I manually put the frequencies in? If I software can do that then I would need it freeware cause I don't believe in getting any kind of debit or credit cards and order. It's cash or nothing.
You can program by hand useing the keypad on your scanner its just alot faster with software. if you do by hand you will learn more about you scanner then most people know.

php111

lowboy654 said:
You can program by hand useing the keypad on your scanner its just alot faster with software. if you do by hand you will learn more about you scanner then most people know.

Thank you so much.

php111

Please reply to this thread and NOT the other one please. Thank you. Here is the copy of the post.

Hello, I have questions about my pro-528. I am a total beginner but would like to understand it more.

This is how I program. Correct me if I am wrong. I press the PGM button then got to Channel 1 and put in my frequencies and keep going and let it run into banks. Is that the right way to do it? How and what is trunking? I believe trunking frequencies are such as 814.something or 856. If so I am programming them the same way as I said I program above. Sometimes the manual doesn't always help. I need someone to help me explain the right way to program. Thank you.
Edit/Delete Message

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Starting at step 1

php111 said:
Please reply to this thread and NOT the other one please. Thank you. Here is the copy of the post.

This is how I program. Correct me if I am wrong. I press the PGM button then got to Channel 1 and put in my frequencies and keep going and let it run into banks. Is that the right way to do it? How and what is trunking? I believe trunking frequencies are such as 814.something or 856. If so I am programming them the same way as I said I program above. Sometimes the manual doesn't always help. I need someone to help me explain the right way to program. Thank you.
Edit/Delete Message

I suggest you start with a few small experiments. Program a FEW channels. See if that works and you hear what you expect. Then program a few more channels in another bank and see if that works. Then program a different kind of system in a different bank and see if that works. Pick systems that ought to be busy so you can get prompt feedback on whether you got what you expected.

Don't input 250 frequencies from some list manually in hopes that you're doing it right because you probably won't be at first.

Read your manual. Read some of the wiki info here. It will take a little time to sink in. The words are new, the concepts are new. Working with the manuals, material and your scanner will eventually make it click for you.

I'd run some scanners for 20 years but it still took me about 2 weeks of reading and experimenting with my Pro-96 until I was comfortable with how things work.

php111

I am not understanding how to program in trunk. Yes I read the manual but it doesn't help.

N1BHH

As has been suggested, program a small amount of frequencies at a time. To explain how trunking works go here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

If you have a bunch of frequencies that are trunked, you need to know what type system it is, Motorola, EDACS, LTR, etc. Some systems you can track, others you won't. The ones you won't are digital, with that scanner. Always start with control channels in a Motorola system and then the rest of those in that system.

Conventional (not trunked) frequencies you just enter anywhere you want. I am not familiar with the features of your scanner, you can just play around and put in a few frequencies at a time. I think it's always best to learn the radio before getting any of the programming software. Because if you want to program something on the fly, like you are in an unfamiliar city and want to hear the public safety services, you can do it by yourself.

php111

I still don't have a clue. You lost me. I don't even know how to tell if it's trunked or not. I don't even know how to tell if it's a talk group.

N1BHH said:
As has been suggested, program a small amount of frequencies at a time. To explain how trunking works go here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

If you have a bunch of frequencies that are trunked, you need to know what type system it is, Motorola, EDACS, LTR, etc. Some systems you can track, others you won't. The ones you won't are digital, with that scanner. Always start with control channels in a Motorola system and then the rest of those in that system.

Conventional (not trunked) frequencies you just enter anywhere you want. I am not familiar with the features of your scanner, you can just play around and put in a few frequencies at a time. I think it's always best to learn the radio before getting any of the programming software. Because if you want to program something on the fly, like you are in an unfamiliar city and want to hear the public safety services, you can do it by yourself.

n2mdk

Look in the database for the areas your talking about. It will show you what's what in your area.

php111

n2mdk said:
Look in the database for the areas your talking about. It will show you what's what in your area.
That does not help. Looking in the database won't help me understand trunking or talk groups.

pogbobo

what is it you are trying to understand? start asking focused/specific questions and we will answer them :)

php111

pogbobo said:
what is it you are trying to understand? start asking focused/specific questions and we will answer them :)

Everything about trunking. If I go to this and under the section "P" for Philadelphia County, I don't what frequencies are trunked and or not trunked. http://scan-pa.com/forum/ I don't know what frequencies are talk groups or not. Even if I did understand the difference of a frequency, I am not understanding how to program it.

Status
Not open for further replies.