What does the police code "Commercial Bird" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

Not sure where this post belongs, but I'll try here.

Google is usually my friend, but I can't find any relevant search results.

I've been listening to a busy NYPD frequency lately, and I sometimes hear the dispatcher give a location and then state that there is a 'Commercial Bird" present at the location. What is she referring to?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Not sure where this post belongs, but I'll try here.

Google is usually my friend, but I can't find any relevant search results.

I've been listening to a busy NYPD frequency lately, and I sometimes hear the dispatcher give a location and then state that there is a 'Commercial Bird" present at the location. What is she referring to?
I'm guessing it's a UAV.

WB9YBM

I'm not sure if this translates well into the PD field but in taxi dispatch "bird" refers to the airport--so maybe some kind of aircraft reference...

storm777

Premium Subscriber
Commercial aircraft, possibly a news chopper? Perhaps a reminder to be on point because the media is zooming in from above.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Someone paid to flip someone else off.

Sort of like a hit man for insults. Usually a job taken by washed up comedians or out of work singing telegram deliverers.

Useage: "He had the nerve to hang up on me, so I hired a Commercial Bird."

dragon48

I have confirmed that the actual term is "commercial burg," meaning commercial burglar alarm. Thanks n3obl. Earlier today, after the term was mentioned and the address given, the operator stated that the indicator was motion in the basement.

Either there have been a lot of recent attempted or actual commercial burglaries in the upper east side of Manhattan, (476.3875 covers the 19th and 23rd precincts and is what I have been listening to) or a lot of false positive alarms. I hear this term all day.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
More businesses are empty during this pandemic so that makes them an easier target. On the other hand, residential burglaries are probably down because the homes are occupied more during the day.

buster150

I thought that too as "commercial bird" until understood.
By the way, when MOS reports to central, it sounds like it's saying 10 codes after calling "show me...". Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.