What does the term "detail" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northscan23

Sometimes on my scanner I will hear the officers say something like "Put me on the detail". I am wondering what does that term mean? Are they going undercover, patrolling, or helping out at on event like a funeral something?

SCPD

QRT
In our area the term "detail" is a generic term and usually refers to any kind of break, i.e., lunch/dinner, restroom, etc.

kma371

QRT
Sometimes on my scanner I will hear the officers say something like "Put me on the detail". I am wondering what does that term mean? Are they going undercover, patrolling, or helping out at on event like a funeral something?

I think the term and how you used it just means any type of call.

Officers can see calls pending and can tell the dispatch to put them on that call or "detail"

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

stmills

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) Sprint S511)

It is a special assignment that has the officer in service but not responding to normal calls. Examples of different detail:
seat belt enforcement
speed enforcement
saturation patrol
VIP security
Special events.

WA1ATA

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) Sprint S511)

It is a special assignment that has the officer in service but not responding to normal calls. Examples of different detail:
seat belt enforcement
speed enforcement
saturation patrol
VIP security
Special events.
"in service but not responding to normal calls" also applies to the usage I've heard most often in SE Massachusetts --- traffic control detail at construction sites.

What is done in most states by civilian flagmen is generally reserved for police officers in Massachusetts. The electric and phone company just pass along the extra costs to their customers.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Also sometimes used for 'chores' like vehicle maintenance, special projects / assignments, pubic education, picking up lunch...

ecps92

Varies by Region/State/County etc

Could be Lunch/Dinner breaks
Could be a prior assigned assignement [Radar, Frequent-Checks]
Could be a Detail [Fire - Fire Watch / Police - Road Detail, EMS - Sports event]
Could be a Parade
Could be.... need more context [Police, Fire, EMS]

PS the "Police - Road Detail" is common in many states who DO NOT USE flaggers

blue5011

Varies by Region/State/County etc

Could be Lunch/Dinner breaks
Could be a prior assigned assignement [Radar, Frequent-Checks]
Could be a Detail [Fire - Fire Watch / Police - Road Detail, EMS - Sports event]
Could be a Parade
Could be.... need more context [Police, Fire, EMS]

PS the "Police - Road Detail" is common in many states who DO NOT USE flaggers
MN State Patrol to do highway flagging? Hilarious! The question is: What are college kids good for... No wonder things in Massachusetts cost an arm and a leg. While there used to be two or three SP assigned in my little part of the state, now we are lucky to see one drive through.

WA1ATA

MN State Patrol to do highway flagging? Hilarious! The question is: What are college kids good for... No wonder things in Massachusetts cost an arm and a leg. .
Here's a month old article from The Standard Times newspaper of New Bedford, MA: Use of civilian flaggers on road projects is not exactly booming business | SouthCoastToday.com

The main thrust of the article is contained in the few few sentences:
When Massachusetts became the last state in the nation to approve the use of civilian flaggers on its roads in 2008, Joshua Elgart saw an opportunity to start a business providing the very flagmen the state would need. Today, nearly three years later, his company, MA Traffic Control in Framingham, has yet to sign its first flagging contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.