What does the Uniden have in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afdscan

With the introduction of GRE's intuitive "object oriented" user interface design, which some feel has revolutionize the hobby, does Uniden plan to design a new digital scanner? I have BCD996T's and BCD396T's. I also have GRE's PSR-500 and PSR-600 scanners. I absolutely love the flexiblity of the object oriented design. It gives one a lot of options. There are things I like about both manufactor's designs and features. I tend to lean toward Uniden as far as over all performance and durable design. I would like to see a mixture of both worlds if possible. Ideally, if Uniden could incoperate the "object oriented" into a digital radio that uses many of Uniden's features... like fire tone-out and compact design, it would be amazing I'm sure... I would like to put that on my wish list!

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I would like to see a new larger size digital scanner like the 895XLT or similar. With a nice audio amplifier and quality speaker, a larger display, large VFO, a dimmer button and headphone out jack on the front panel, discriminator tap jack on rear and maybe an additional line out jack.

I often wonder why Uniden got away from making scanners this size for home use. Not all of us put the scanners in our cars. The 785/796 and the 996 series scanners are mobile scanners IMO. The audio from my 895XLT is far superior to any of the new scanners, of course in analog. I would like to see a real base version of the new or next generation scanners. That's my wish....

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Should Uniden adopt a memory management scheme similar to GRE's, I hope that they would incorporate more scan lists than the GRE scanners. I have spent the last week and a half comparing a BCD996T and a PSR-600. My conclusion is that I like Uniden's systems and groups memory structure better than the GRE's objects and scan lists. I scan a couple of pretty large trunked systems along with a lot of conventional stuff and I like to be able to break up the various agencies and functions. I can very easily use up 20 scan lists and still not have the flexibility I'd like. Yes, this is personal preference.

Built-in USB connectivity would be nice. My digital cameras, my GPS receiver, and my cell phone all do USB natively, so don't tell me it can't be done or is too expensive. USB-to-serial converters can be flaky, so let's just take them out of the picture completely.

I don't see much future for base scanners. The scanner market is not big enough to justify development and tooling for handheld, mobile, and base form factors. External speakers make all the difference in the world with handheld or moble scanners, though.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I would like to see a 396 type handheld with the features of a 996 (Multi Site Trunking, GPS)
but a different connector for the gps. and maybe larger scanlists for talkgroup id's.
the programming port in the front is kind of a bad place but no worries

the colored flashing LED on the GRE Models seemed nice, especially for a mobile unit but thats more of a novelty.

the size of the 996 is perfect for me, i can use it anywhere, although the handheld flexibility is nice as well.

Keep Up the good work uniden.

Shortwavewave

What Id like to see

1 Infared Remote
2 Built in Digital TV RX with video output

THIS IS A MUST
3 Video output for Display w/alpha tag (so it can be seen bigger on TV, monitor)
4 of course all your trunking and P25 Digital
5 Maybe bluetooth to listen wirelessly

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
3 Video output for Display w/alpha tag (so it can be seen bigger on TV, monitor)
If you look at the high-end amateur radio gear from Icom and Yaesu, they have video systems so you can connect an external monitor and see much more information than could be displayed on a specific-use display or even a built-in CRT. Of course, these radios have a lot more settings and menus to display along with secondary receivers and decoded data streams that can all be put on an external monitor. These radios have price tags over $10,000, too.

5 Maybe bluetooth to listen wirelessly
Excellent idea for a handheld scanner.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I personally think the 396 and 996 will be around for at least another year
They will just update the firmware.

Although I second a 396 with multi-site, temp lockout etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.