What emergency frequencies are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanMadigan

Sorry I'm not 100% sure what area of the forums this would belong to.

I'm interested in monitoring emergency use frequencies, and perhaps having a radio capable of transmitting on some of them in case of any sort of disaster.

I already got CB 9 and Marine VHF 16, and the unofficial emergency channel for GMRS. I heard there is also an aircraft distress freq that I'm sure I can find. Is there anything else I should have, weather to transmit or just to listen?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I'm not 100% sure what area of the forums this would belong to.

I'm interested in monitoring emergency use frequencies, and perhaps having a radio capable of transmitting on some of them in case of any sort of disaster.

I already got CB 9 and Marine VHF 16, and the unofficial emergency channel for GMRS. I heard there is also an aircraft distress freq that I'm sure I can find. Is there anything else I should have, weather to transmit or just to listen?

Although CB 9 is an "emergency" channel, there's probably more chit-chat than anything. Aircraft emergencies are on 121.5 and 243.0. Once again, there's probably more chit-chat on 121.5 than anything else and not much traffic at all on 243.0.

If you're listening for emergencies on all those channels, I suspect you'll hear almost nothing.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
What's an "Emergency Frequency"? I'Marineve heard emergencies happen on all kinds of frequencies, and that's usually where the emergency was dealt with. Ham, ATC, Fire, Law.

zz0468

QRT
Banned

Marine ch 16 and 22A. For actual marine use only.

121.5 for actual aircraft use only.

243.0 for actual US government aircraft only.

That's pretty much it for dedicated "emergency" frequencies. But you mentioned disasters. Google "NIFOG". That has the answers (and frequencies) you seek.

I wouldn't bother transmitting on any of them unless you're eligible for, and hold the appropriate licenses.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Marine ch 16 and 22A. For actual marine use only.

121.5 for actual aircraft use only.

243.0 for actual US government aircraft only.

That's pretty much it for dedicated "emergency" frequencies. But you mentioned disasters. Google "NIFOG". That has the answers (and frequencies) you seek.

I wouldn't bother transmitting on any of them unless you're eligible for, and hold the appropriate licenses.

In the NIFOG or ANY official guide, any frequency labeled as "Guard" especially if its related to aircraft, is an emergency communications frequency.(Several in the VHF High Band in Federal Range 163 MHz thru 174 MHz) You also want to have an bank set aside with all the Interop stuff, Fed/Non Fed VHF, UHF, 700, 800 conventional... USAR..... So an P25 capable scanner is a must now with many frequencies using digital format.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You may also research local Public Safety interagency frequencies that may be used for emergencies. Plenty of useful information can be found in the RR database section for your locale. For example, New York State has its Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services which maintains a radio communication network that may be worth monitoring. But, I'd wager to say that unless you had a spare scanner dedicated to only scanning these rarely used emergency frequencies, you'd be wasting precious scanning time with no return on your investment.

As far as your ability to transmit on any of these frequencies is concerned, as has been pointed out, you can't. A radio with transmitting capability specific to the frequency in question, and a proper need-based license to operate said radio would be required. Transmitting on any license-regulated frequency without a licence is unlawful. Anyway, you'd need several band or agency-specific radios to do this with a potential cost of several thousand dollars.

majoco

Stirrer
You might find that if you use one of those frequencies to get rescued, the rescuers might not take you home, but probably to one of those government 'hotels'. :)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You may also research local Public Safety interagency frequencies that may be used for emergencies. Plenty of useful information can be found in the RR database section for your locale. For example, New York State has its Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services which maintains a radio communication network that may be worth monitoring. But, I'd wager to say that unless you had a spare scanner dedicated to only scanning these rarely used emergency frequencies, you'd be wasting precious scanning time with no return on your investment.

As far as your ability to transmit on any of these frequencies is concerned, as has been pointed out, you can't. A radio with transmitting capability specific to the frequency in question, and a proper need-based license to operate said radio would be required. Transmitting on any license-regulated frequency without a licence is unlawful. Anyway, you'd need several band or agency-specific radios to do this with a potential cost of several thousand dollars.

Well said.

KC2zZe

Here's an idea, Dylan... if you're looking to not only listen, but to be able to talk on a real radio as well (and I don't mean those FRS and MURS toys - although there is a time and a place for them) - how about studying to become a licensed amateur radio operator (a Ham). As many have said above, you'll get yourself jammed up if you start coming up on channels that you've got no authority to use. But if you pass the codeless technician's exam, find your local ARES and/or RACES group, and join it. You'll have authorized access to all sorts of legitimate frequencies - some of which can get pressed into service during emergencies (depending on how integrated your local ARES/RACES group is with local emergency management officials). Here in Orange County, NY, our ARES/RACES organization is one and the same and their repeater network in an integral part of the Indian Point nuclear power plant emergency system.

Here's a couple of other options: If you're interested in legitimate access to Marine band channels, join your local Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla, assuming you're close to a navigable body of water. Access to air band channels your thing? Join the Air Force Auxiliary (the Civil Air Patrol). They've got an extensive VHF repeater network as well.

My point is this: you want to be able to talk on some of the channels you've described? You'll need to work for the privilege and opportunity to do so.

Last edited:

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
DylanMadigan - Marine 16 and 22A.
121.5 for Civil Aircraft. 243.0 Military.
406 Mhz Beacons.ELT also 121.5 .
Avalanche Tranceiver 457 khz.
W-link 916 - 926 MHz Canada USA.

I would also program any MEDIA channels, AM-FM Radio or your Local Emergency Broadcast Radio frequency, CERT, Red Cross, Search & Rescue, Weather Radio, as well as USCG frequencies .
all can be found in the Radio Reference database.

Status
Not open for further replies.