What equipment to read NOAA images?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I want to receive NOAA satellite images but I have no clue what I need other than a tv screen. can someone lead me to the direction of radios to recieve their signals and make into images?
thanks

burts

noaa satellites reception

take a look at wxtoimg.com
scanners are not ideal for this but some do what i think is a fairly good job
so you need a scanner
a computer
a antenna can be home made but does need to be more than a vertical whip
a lead from head phones out to pc mic or input on computer

once you have had a look at wxtoimg things will start to make sense
oh also you need a free program from wxtoimg.com

from burt
your scanner needs to tune to 137.0mhz to 138.0mhz nfm

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
burts said:
take a look at wxtoimg.com
scanners are not ideal for this but some do what i think is a fairly good job
so you need a scanner
a computer
a antenna can be home made but does need to be more than a vertical whip
a lead from head phones out to pc mic or input on computer

once you have had a look at wxtoimg things will start to make sense
oh also you need a free program from wxtoimg.com

from burt
your scanner needs to tune to 137.0mhz to 138.0mhz nfm
i have an FM portable radio my GP68, outside and i hear on 137.625 the beeps and tones. so its all bout the sound? no data? so i just need mic? no specialized stuff? except decoder from program?
was thinking of getting one of these http://www.emgola.cz/www_fa/meteosat_englisch.html the kit ot hookup to pc

jb872033

Just recieved the 1:56UTC transmission on 137.62...i have to say that i am very impressed...i dont know a lot about this kind of scaning but i didnt think that this was possible with just a scanner and decoder...i just used a pro-97 with a hustler dcl discone (roof mounted)...you just never stop learning...interesting stuff here folks!

JB

burts

here is one i made earlyer

chrismoll you can hear the satellite so thats a start you will need a lead 3.5mm jack plug i think it is the sound you hear is the data the better the sound quaity the better the picture will be ,i guess you found the keplers so you know when to listen or decode the sound a pass lasts about 10min and is a cross between tick tock and clip clock .

well done jb there is so much stuff out there to play with and we have all the kit its just a case of knowing where to look and when and what with .
the picture below was received using aor 8200 a home brew antenna wxtoimg software not the free one but the standard upgrade one,
there is grain at the top and bottom where the signal is weekest and some strange lines in the middle which i get on most pictures maybe as antenna is in the loft ,no pre amp was used coax rg58

from burt

Attachments

• 05121628_good 123.jpg
    05121628_good 123.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,071
Last edited:

jb872033

Chris..you might wanna try it with what you got!! i am getting very good results with my stuff (see above) and with a little tweaking and maybe a homerew antenna i think that i will get equal results to a specailty reciver!!

JB

burts

i 2nd that

jb872033 said:
Chris..you might wanna try it with what you got!! i am getting very good results with my stuff (see above) and with a little tweaking and maybe a homerew antenna i think that i will get equal results to a specailty reciver!!

JB

try with what you have first you will learn more that way,i used a home brew discone to start off with,but i guess it depends on weather ;) you like the making and trying or if you just want to receive the weather pictures and the pictures are your interest

from burt

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
burts said:
try with what you have first you will learn more that way,i used a home brew discone to start off with,but i guess it depends on weather ;) you like the making and trying or if you just want to receive the weather pictures and the pictures are your interest

from burt
I want to receive all the different kinds of images that these satellites put out.
How is that heliax antenna ya got there treating ya? I am looking more into that one

burts

noaa

How is that heliax antenna ya got there treating ya? I am looking more into that one[/QUOTE]

its good mine is in the loft and still works well so outside should be even better,there are a lot you can make even one out of coax,and there is crossed dia poles to the wxtoimg prog is a good one its free and you have nothing to lose by trying it

from burt

KG9NZ

burts

antenna

they both work i dont know the ins and outs of them but i know the one i made from the net works well and like i say its in the loft

from burt

Status
Not open for further replies.