What ever became of CARMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwoods

Ted was the best. I
remember the paper news letter coming in the mail. Illinois. 1980 something. Rich Carlson will know.

CrabbyMilton

The most likely cause is due to the fact that you can access such information on the internet now.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
CARMA is still here. Look at CarmaChicago on Facebook. There is also a io.group fro CARMA as well.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
CARMA is still there on Facebook and thru our io.group. We had suspended regular in-person meetings before the virus hit and planned occasional get-togethers once or twice a year. We also had a couple tours arranged but these and any meetings were cancelled due to the virus. While I moved out of the area I remain active with CARMA. Sadly Ted passed away a few years ago, what a tremendous loss! Will still handles a lot of the day-to-day activity and I help out where I can.

The website was shut down since it was not really needed, the FB and io systems handled contact for the members and the files were no longer maintained. The information in them is better supported by the RadioReference database and Wiki.

CARMA is one of the last surviving scanner clubs around. The 80's and 90's were prime time for scanner clubs (AOSC, SoCal, RCMA etc.) but most of the other clubs, big and small, are gone. We had some great times and networked with RCMA, AOSC, and clubs in Wisconsin, St. Louis and others frequently.

The printed newsletters are pretty much a thing of the past, I don't know of any club still doing them. In fact I have a friend who has a fairly complete set of RCMA Newsletters looking for a good home but no one has responded to my queries. CARMA stopped doing paper newsletters 20 years ago but we did a few PDF versions here and there since.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
In the early days we at RCMA now CARMA had # ing system, I am il-9, the greatest club and bunch of guys I have ever been a part of, Rich , Ted and others rescued the club when things got bad, God bless Ted and thanks Rich for great times

N9JIG

Sheriff
Our RCMA numbers were badges of honor for sure! I was a relative latecomer, being IL-370. I know one guy actually used his cousin's address in Montana or something to get a lower number.

KB9WUV

It seem like once everyone discovered Radioreference the CARMA database was slowly being updated. I found the CARMA profiles to be the best source of information for all the freqs other than basic Dispatch freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.