What FDs Use P25 in Massachusetts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
What fire agencies use P25 digital radios in Massachusetts? I know that Hanscom AFB FD does (166.225R). Maybe Westover AFB FD, Barnes Field FD, and Otis AFB FD also? And Cape Cod Natl Seashore has a couple of wildfire units - and the Natl Seashore uses P25. Anyone else in Massachusetts? Peter Sz

RKG

jcop225 said:
New Bedford FD is either digital or encrypted I'm not sure which one.

Neither.

Ch. 1 is 470.5125 and ch. 2 is 471.0375, both using DPL 143.

I am aware of no non-military Fire Departments in Massachusetts using digital voice for either dispatch or fireground.

LPD7

New Bedford Police use P25 Encrypted Comms on a secondary channel

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
LPD7 said:
New Bedford Police use P25 Encrypted Comms on a secondary channel

Unless I'm mistaken, that is incorrect. NBPD uses DVP encryption unless they've changed.

Peter, you may be aware that the Wiki at my website has a comprehensive list of P25 activity throughout New England, including many of the departments you inquire about.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It seems to be fairly common that people confuse DPL with digital audio. I've had a number of people tell me that Boston PD is going digital lately. They aren't, they are just using DPL on channels that had 188.8 for about 100 years. OK, since the early 1970s when they went from VHF to UHF.

Gary

unleashedff248

Massachusetts DBA
Database Admin
I think after all those digital audio interference reports (background noise issues) most FD's are waiting on the digital transition. As far as I'm concerned, digital voice has no place on the fireground right now. Depending on department, secondary analog simplex channels for fireground ops may not be available.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/pub/ntia-rpt/08-453/

Car 01 - you might find that interesting. I think it was published just today - the feds did a study on fireground noise vs radios. (I found that URL in a different thread here on RadioRef - the thread is titled "Virginia FD Report - Digital Radios worry firefighters" - something like that).

Peter Sz

LPD7

In New Hampshire, Nashua, Hudson, and Pelham Fire Departments use P-25 for Operations and Fireground.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
In New Hampshire, Nashua, Hudson, and Pelham Fire Departments use P-25 for Operations and Fireground.

Nashua Fire is on an 800Mhz trunked system that is P25 for fire and police (analog for rest). It utilizes multiple sites and has had various forms of success. They also operate two VHF Analog Direct frequencies. One is for Fire Dispatch and the other for Fireground. These are intended for Mutual Aid and fireground becomes active on any working fire tied to the 800Mhz fireground talkgroup/channel.

Hudsons is mobile P25 only. The dispatcher still operates analog. Pelham has P25 capability but only uses on occasion. They're main operations remain analog. When both use State Fireground (area common Fireground) that's all analog.

The only full VHF P25 system in place right now for NH Fire is Lebanon. They have a 5-Site simulcast system on 151.235 Repeater. They maintain their analog system as well and both fireground channels are analog (intentionally. They do not want P25 Fireground).

Other departments have access to P25 through the state grant and some utilize for testing or local ops, mainly because they can. The Feds are in the process of moving a lot (if not all) their operations to P25. Many will be encrypted too. But I don't know the timeline and who has or hasn't moved over yet. White Mountains in NH are still analog, though I've been told some P25 direct traffic occurs.

The two main reasons fire isn't going is concern over RF quality (or lack of) and because you can't tone minitors/receivers yet w/digital (P25 Minitor is slated for 2010 or 2012 I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.