What fire depts can't be monitored and scanner Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineco16

Premium Subscriber
So I bought a new BC125AT, wrong scanner and took it back, I currently have a RS pro-95, I live in the IE and want to be able to monitor the fire departments from LA down to SD. I just retired from CALFIRE and I'll now be doing fire photography.

- What fire departments can't be monitored with a scanner?
- What handheld scanner works best for SoCal to get as much as I can out of it without out killing my retirement pension ;-) I know it's subjective.

Thanks,
Dave

scottyhetzel

Welcome to RR.... any VHF scanner will handle 99% of fire departments. Federal bases are mostly on Digital and will require a digital scanner. S.Berdo/ San Diego/OrCo are on Analog trunking currently ....one day soon they will be on digital trunking. Again, you will need to upgrade one day if you go with analog, currently OrCo has a new digital tower up and is testing. Or you can buy a Uniden 996xt/396xt and be covered for years and years to come. The new uniden models are super nice but pricey, however they cover all the new formats.

engineco16

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I'll probably ending up getting the 396xt. I was able to get my p95 hooked back up to my PC but programming it are way outdated, but it'll do for the moment.

What's tough is if I download a csv file of LA County how do I just select LA City Fire portion of it It seems it would be nice for larger counties if there were smaller csv files for specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.