what free software can i use to program and control uniden bct8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wiki: BCT8 - The RadioReference Wiki

Yes, the CD is a demo.

Well...i spent the 40 dollars for the full version. im having a problem though. keeps on saying this....

"COMMUNICATIONS ERROR! PLEASE CHECK BCT8 REMOTE SETTINGS"

However, in the meantime i have used BuTel ARC8. said its a demo version. however i have filled all 5 banks. the virtual control works. so whats up? when will the arc8 no longer work for me. and now that i spent 40 on software that really should be free. (at least i think so) uniden says no returns. just exchanges. hmm...

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
And your using the same COM port settings on both programs?

When does it fail, when receiving or sending or not at all?

And your using the same COM port settings on both programs?

When does it fail, when receiving or sending or not at all?

yes, same com port for both programs. i just noticed though on the uniden program when i clicked on read data from scanner. it read the first 3 frequencies programmed. then it stopped and said something about the time delay setting. i played around with that and nothing changed. when trying to use the virtual control with uniden, sometimes.....JUST sometimes it will show as if its going to work. then about 5 seconds later is when i get the error. how sad is that?

only thing i can come up with is that I'm not actually using a com port or serial cable. i bought from radioshack a usb to serial cable.

Gigaware® 6-ft. USB-A to Serial Cable - RadioShack.com

Attachments

• radioshack1.jpg
    radioshack1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 5,826
Last edited:
Maybe you should try a lower baud rate? Another possibility could be that the driver needs updated, but you said it works on the ARC program.
Gigaware® 6-ft. USB-A to Serial Cable - RadioShack.com

Dave -

I wish it was that easy and that you were right. but no, already tried searching for update automatically through device manager and searched online for one manually. no luck. i wonder how many times someone has posted a key for the uniden software. can't believe i forked over 40 dollars....

- Jameson

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
RS Site driver is dated June, 2008.
Prolific driver is dated December 2, 2009.

Guess what. the WINDOWS XP Driver made everything work flawlessly. Yes...I am on WINDOWS VISTA.

Pretty odd. now im just mad at myself for buying the bct8ss key for 40 bucks. what was i thinking. you can't even upload frequencies from Radioreference. should have gone with arc8.

Last edited:
I got a new computer to run this wonderful toy. Got a Belkin 409 USB to RS232 adapter cable. New is good right? Nope. Nothing supports Windows 7. Can't program it. I follow the Manual to the letter. The scanner software comes up on the monitor. I click the buttons. Nothing works. It sets here on my desk and I hear the Cops doing their job. I have not given up. Just a little sad. The cable works from the computer. I had to hunt down drivers for Windows 7. It is what it is. Found this wonderful Forum tho. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.