What freq.'s are allowed for the Technician license

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdana1942

I've been searching around on the internet for info. but can someone let me know just what frequencies a Technicain licensee is allowed to operate in and the tx. power allowed? Appreciate any info or a link to where I can find out for sure. Want to be sure I have it right before I buy a transceiver.

k8tmk

Am I missing something here?

If you are looking to buy a transceiver, you must have a license. If you have a license, wasn't frequencies and power part of the exam? In other words, shouldn't you already know?

Randy

N0IU

To be totally honest, my reaction was the same as yours, but experience on this forum has taught me that people come here for answers, not lectures and I think you will find that many of the moderators also feel that way. Just a friendly piece of advice that is worth what it cost you - $0.00!

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Some people don't read the manuals before testing, they only take online tests until they've learned the question pool. I'm not saying that is the case here.

I for one won't test until I've read the manual cover to cover and am comfortable with the entire question pool. And even then, it feels like I've still got more to learn (either on the air or from Elmers).

jimdana1942

To be totally honest, my reaction was the same as yours, but experience on this forum has taught me that people come here for answers, not lectures and I think you will find that many of the moderators also feel that way. Just a friendly piece of advice that is worth what it cost you - $0.00!

Thanks for coming to my aid. At my age (68 in 3 weeks) I don't have alot of time left to get in to my new hobby, Hamming. So I studied the quickest method possible and got my license. I remeber alot but the freq. bands I remember were 6, 2, 1.25. I am just asking questions that I feel are important and I feel that experienced HAMS can clue me in quickly, especially since I am in the market for a txcvr I want to be sure I don't spend money for features I don't need. I have no intention of going further than a Tech. license, I am satisfied as it is.

Thanks to all who respond. Oh, by the way, I also have a Gen. Radiotelephone Operator License, since 1967.

Am I missing something here?

If you are looking to buy a transceiver, you must have a license. If you have a license, wasn't frequencies and power part of the exam? In other words, shouldn't you already know?

Randy

No were does the FCC require license to purchase transceiver, some retailers may but it is not regulation.

k8tmk

I wasn't implying that you need a license to BUY a transceiver. I was assuming that if he was looking to buy a transceiver, he already had a license and should know the answer to his question.

Oh, and jimdana1942: My wife got her Tech license at 58, and her Extra at 61!

Randy, K8TMK
Annie, W8ALK

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Meaning no disrespect sir, your mistake was putting the cart before the horse in your haste. You would have been much better informed had you obtained one of several available study manuals and still you could have aced the test. It's simple, for example the Gordon West manuals available from the W5YI Group are IMO the best, highlight the correct answer given in the text (with explanation) and memorize only the questions and the correct answers.

Since you have considerable catching up to do I suggest locating and joining a club in your area where you may meet with established hams and discuss so many things. All your questions are best answered in person so immediate explanation and discussion may be had. You'll have to anyway since those having accredited VE sessions are where you'll take the test so you may as well join up and take advantage of all they have to offer.

"Oh, by the way, I also have a Gen. Radiotelephone Operator License, since 1967."
How so? The GROL did not exist in 1967 but rather Radiotelephone 1, 2 and 3 with endorsements, same for Radiotelegraph and Radar. Now fess up, you had at least a 'phone 2 and were grandfathered. (;->) I'll give you one thing, since you know theory and the math behind it taking the test should be a snap, all you need to learn are the band assignments and CW if you want to operate HF above 10M. Not only that you already know more than some hams will ever learn in a lifetime, congratulations.

jimdana1942

I wasn't implying that you need a license to BUY a transceiver. I was assuming that if he was looking to buy a transceiver, he already had a license and should know the answer to his question.

Oh, and jimdana1942: My wife got her Tech license at 58, and her Extra at 61!

Randy, K8TMK
Annie, W8ALK

That's great. I am not saying "never" that I will advance further, I just want to work in the Tech. area for now. I have always been a quick study and know that I will be able to pass the Gen. and Extra should I decide I want to. I took the Gen. right after my Tech. just to see what it was like I missed11 out of 35. I thought that wasn't badf considering I did no study. The rules and regs. are what got me. I do well on the technical questions.

Good talking to you guys.

jimdana1942

Meaning no disrespect sir, your mistake was putting the cart before the horse in your haste. You would have been much better informed had you obtained one of several available study manuals and still you could have aced the test. It's simple, for example the Gordon West manuals available from the W5YI Group are IMO the best, highlight the correct answer given in the text (with explanation) and memorize only the questions and the correct answers.

Since you have considerable catching up to do I suggest locating and joining a club in your area where you may meet with established hams and discuss so many things. All your questions are best answered in person so immediate explanation and discussion may be had. You'll have to anyway since those having accredited VE sessions are where you'll take the test so you may as well join up and take advantage of all they have to offer.

"Oh, by the way, I also have a Gen. Radiotelephone Operator License, since 1967."
How so? The GROL did not exist in 1967 but rather Radiotelephone 1, 2 and 3 with endorsements, same for Radiotelegraph and Radar. Now fess up, you had at least a 'phone 2 and were grandfathered. (;->) I'll give you one thing, since you know theory and the math behind it taking the test should be a snap, all you need to learn are the band assignments and CW if you want to operate HF above 10M. Not only that you already know more than some hams will ever learn in a lifetime, congratulations.

Well, I originally had the 2nd phone and the FCC issued the General in 1985. I have worked from 1965 to 1995 in the Com. field. Terrestrial microwave, voice-data, 2 way. I was a Sen. TOC Tech (television operation center) and then a svc. mgr. for a Motorola service station until my retirement. I have a very broad-based backgropund that can match anyone.

I ain't braggin. I retired in '97 and have been outa the loop somewhat since then.

That is why I became a "HAM". I still have great interest in Radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.