What frequencies should I be using in my area??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrasports

I live in Preston, CT. Can someone help me out and let me know what would be the best scanner I should get (handheld) for my area? Should I get trunked or non-trunked? Should I go with analog or digital? I don't really know the difference that much. Right now the scanner I use most is my Uniden Bearcat Sportcat twin turbo. I believe this scanner is a non-trunked analog scanner. It does pick up scans but not as many as I would like and it does seem some of the conversations I only hear 1 person talking. So I am looking to upgrade and just don't know what I should get to get the most bang for my buck. Please help! I was thinking something in this line and I would believe that a trunked or de-scrambled / digital scanner would pick up more info in my area then what I get now. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...handheld&rh=i:aps,k:trunked+scanners+handheld

55engine

Premium Subscriber
i would go with a uniden 436 536 or 325p2 or a 996p2 best radios go Latinas communication in berlin these radios will do analog trunk and digital any questions feel free to pm me

hydrasports

KC4RAF said "And it appears that Preston, CT isn't encrypted, so any digital should help you. Others will help you more in the line of scanner would best help you." Being that you said any digital would work is that the same as a trunked system? Are the frequencies the same or different for digital, trunked or analog? Where do I find the frequencies for digital or trunked in my area? PS- thanks for the info... Please be patient with me I'm trying to act like a sponge and gather as much info as possible to make my next scanner purchase the right one.

hydrasports

Can one handheld scanner scan all kinds of frequencies such as analog, digital and trunked systems? Are these they only type of frequencies there are? Are the trunked frequencies scrambled? Dan6071 do you sell a hand held scanner that picks up all the different kinds of frequencies? Show me what you got my friend and please give quotes.

hydrasports

So it sounds as if digital scanners can do everything analog scanners can do so I guess the question now is should I get a trunked digital scanner or just digital scanner? Does getting the trunked digital scanner pick up more to listen to then the just digital scanner? Once I know I should get a trunked digital scanner or just digital scanner I can then shop around to find a good one. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears on what to buy!

hydrasports

Want to buy a digital trunked scanner, don't know what one to get

I have a analog scanner now but want to pick up as much as I can so i believe I want to buy a new one. I think I want to get a digital / trunked scanner (handheld). What is the difference between just a digital or a digital / trunked scanner? Is it worth getting one that can do both digital and trunked?

marksmith

You want a trunking scanner. Almost all digital systems are trunking.

Any digital scanner that does not trunk is seriously handicapped.

The main makers are Uniden and Whistler, with new units capable of phase 2 TDMA running about $450-500.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

hydrasports

Why do so scanners say they are digital trunked and others just say digital? I want to get a hand held as they are portable and I know the one I have now is a Uniden Bearcat Sportcat. What would be some good models to pick from and $450 - $500 is OK! Just want to get the most bang for my buck!

marksmith

The best portable handheld right now is probably the Uniden BCD436HP or the BCD325P2.
Both are digital p25 TDMA Phase 2 compatible.

A digital scanner that won't follow a trunked system means you won't be able to follow conversations, program talkgroups on the system and control what you listen to.

A few exist, such as the AOR and a few others.

Mark

What He Said

The best portable handheld right now is probably the Uniden BCD436HP or the BCD325P2.

Both are digital p25 TDMA Phase 2 compatible.

A digital scanner that won't follow a trunked system means you won't be able to follow conversations, program talkgroups on the system and control what you listen to.

Agreed.

Great choices for CT.

marksmith

The 436 has a built in database of all of North America to quickly generate a scanning list of your specific favorites, or can be used while traveling with a GPS or using a zip code entry, while the 325 requires you to program those systems to the radio.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.