What happened to CHP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
So I have every CHP channel programmed into my scanner as I have forever, took a couple years off listening, seems to be the only ones that are ever active is 460.3750 and an occasional 460.4500. I have found air on accident a few times, doesn't seem the plane is up during winter much though. 460.3750 seems to just be State Capitol security from what I'm hearing? Is there anything else, absolutely nothing on low band anymore.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You don't mention your exact location, but CHP is still very much active on low band statewide. There have been some frequency changes in some areas. Maybe check what you have programed against the current RR database. Some of the capitol ops are using P25. Extenders are now mostly 700Mhz P25. In a few areas like San Diego the CHP is using or at least able to use local trunked systems.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
So I have every CHP channel programmed into my scanner as I have forever, took a couple years off listening, ...
A couple of years, no changes. Several years, lots of "little" changes. As mentioned, CHP i still on low band VHF. And the old State Police channels (now part of CHP) are still on low band UHF (~450 MHz). You should compare your programming with the RR database. If you use CT values, you need to pay extra attention to those. And while you can pick up a lot of stuff with a "portable antenna" in Sacramento, if you want to get serious reception you need a serious antenna system applicable to low band VHF. There are a tons of threads here on RR on these topics.

russbrill

So I have every CHP channel programmed into my scanner as I have forever, took a couple years off listening, seems to be the only ones that are ever active is 460.3750 and an occasional 460.4500. I have found air on accident a few times, doesn't seem the plane is up during winter much though. 460.3750 seems to just be State Capitol security from what I'm hearing? Is there anything else, absolutely nothing on low band anymore.
Here's their new Low-band plan:

Black Base/Repeater 44.660 MHz - South Sacramento
Black Mobile/input 42.280 MHz
Gold Base/Repeater 44.620 MHz - North Sacramento
Gold Mobile/input 42.200 MHz
Green Base/Repeater 45.360 MHz - Auburn/El Dorado Hills
Green Mobile/input 42.720 MHz
Blue Base/Repeater 44.840 MHz - Statewide (Valley Division)
Blue Mobile/input 42.360 MHz

As you can see, things have changed since the old days (NO Repeaters)...

KG7PBS

CHP State Capitol is Now P25 ENF full time sadly. the security guys are Analog still. they can Hear the P25 ENC and talk to them still.

KG7PBS

Oh i forgot put in this bad boy if you want to hear CHP 700Mhz

773.33125) North Sacramento CHP office, the site also has some fairly good coverage NAC is 7D3

6079smithw

Here's their new Low-band plan:

Black Base/Repeater 44.660 MHz - South Sacramento
Black Mobile/input 42.280 MHz
Gold Base/Repeater 44.620 MHz - North Sacramento
Gold Mobile/input 42.200 MHz
Green Base/Repeater 45.360 MHz - Auburn/El Dorado Hills
Green Mobile/input 42.720 MHz
Blue Base/Repeater 44.840 MHz - Statewide (Valley Division)
Blue Mobile/input 42.360 MHz

As you can see, things have changed since the old days (NO Repeaters)...
True dat. I ran freight between Stockton and Reno all last week; plenty of activity on all Low Band
including Grey 2 45.60/42.88 up 50 thru Placerville and South Lake (50 rarely closes unlike 80)

As a side note, anyone heading over Echo or Donner should also have CalTrans Dist. 3 800 freqs
punched in during winter weather, (California - Department of Transportation (CALTRANS) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference)
keeps you ahead of chain controls/closures/incidents on the Hill.

Wash yer hands and stay safe out there!

KG7PBS

That one is the one I found them to be Encrypted on

453.20000 RM641 NACResources D Resources Building Dispatch - P25 P25E

Paysonscanner

True dat. I ran freight between Stockton and Reno all last week; plenty of activity on all Low Band
including Grey 2 45.60/42.88 up 50 thru Placerville and South Lake (50 rarely closes unlike 80)

As a side note, anyone heading over Echo or Donner should also have CalTrans Dist. 3 800 freqs
punched in during winter weather, (California - Department of Transportation (CALTRANS) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference)
keeps you ahead of chain controls/closures/incidents on the Hill.

Wash yer hands and stay safe out there!

I'm very surprised when I talk to scanner owners that never listen to state DOT's when they are traveling. When my late Hubby and I traveled we always scanned them and the highway patrol/state police agencies. We had both in one bank when we traveled out of state and had one bank each for CHP and Caltrans while in California. We were driving from our small town in the western Sierra to his family's place in southern California and heard of a huge accident near Mulholland Drive that had all 8 lanes shut down. We took the 118 to the 101 and down the coast. Hubby's family lived in West L.A. near the ocean so we saved hours and hours. The accident involved some hazmat that took many hours to clean up.

Taking 50 instead of 80 does not sound fun. If you are in a big truck it might not be so scary. We were always anxious about all the blind curves along the river at the upper end of the road within a few miles of the climb to Echo. People drive so fast through those curves and if they stray left just a few inches it causes disasters.

We hardly ever went into Sacramento together so we didn't listen to the capitol police much. Late Hubby did because of county public works matters, being an civil engineer. I miss listening to the CHP and Caltrans and having neighbors who worked for both.

I'm a retired nurse taking care of parents in their 90's. I hardly go outside at all. I have some prescriptions I have to fill a couple of times a month for my parents and I'm very careful. It does not seem as though Arizona is taking the situation seriously enough. I have a medical background so saying that goes with the territory. I've been washing my hands dozens of times per day since I started nursing school and then on to work in a smallish hospital for nearly 40 years, so this is not new to me. I just wish people from bigger cities would just stay home and not come into our smaller city. We welcome everyone all the time, except for now.

sacscan

When I was living in Downtown Sac 4 months ago. I only Heard P25 ENC on there Channels. In the 452/460 ops. Maybe they went back to the clear.
I live in midtown. I don't have the P25 channels programmed yet. I use an old Uniden BC895XLT solely for 453.200/460.375 CTCSS 127.3 because for some reason it has professional Motorola quality reverse burst on those particular channels (but not on most other analog ones, go figure). This means NO squelch tail, which I love!

Most of the traffic I hear is on 460.375, but occasionally I've heard them go to 453.200 when they're having radio problems on 460.375. I've had the same radio setup in the same location for years.

Paysonscanner

I just wish people from bigger cities would just stay home and not come into our smaller city. We welcome everyone all the time, except for now.
Good story here in the L.A. Times about L.A. people heading to Mono County... Nearing overload in coronavirus pandemic, Mono County sheriff has a message: Stay out
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. The L.A. Times says I've reached my free article limit and I don't plan to subscribe so I'll take your word for it. I wonder if the west side Sierra counties are doing the same? I know the county I lived in has not gone this far, unless there is something I haven't heard. I'll have to get in touch with the friends I have there to check up. I haven't done so since this pandemic started. Mono County has the advantage of having the Sierra Nevada between it and the rest of Calif. and at this time of year both passes over the crest are closed. I'm glad I got the work done on my uncle's place in Mammoth this summer and that it sold. I don't have any reason to go back. Payson folks want people to return after this pandemic runs its course, but not before! People from out of town require services such as search and rescue, PD, Gila County SO, Fire, medical and such when they come up here and get hurt. Helos are busy transporting COVID-19 or are committed to such. Hospitals may get overwhelmed and if we have a bunch of visitors taking up beds with injuries from their time in the great outdoors, then someone can't get service up here. We are fortunate to be 1.5 to 2 hours driving time between the hospital up here and most of the hospitals down in the valley. But that means we don't have enough ambulances to respond to injuries in the Mazatzals, Christopher Creek and the rest of the Rim Country while that medic unit is tied up on transportation.

Randy_Vick

Premium Subscriber
Good story here in the L.A. Times about L.A. people heading to Mono County... Nearing overload in coronavirus pandemic, Mono County sheriff has a message: Stay out

Thanks for the link. The L.A. Times says I've reached my free article limit and I don't plan to subscribe so I'll take your word for it. I wonder if the west side Sierra counties are doing the same? I know the county I lived in has not gone this far, unless there is something I haven't heard. I'll have to get in touch with the friends I have there to check up. I haven't done so since this pandemic started. Mono County has the advantage of having the Sierra Nevada between it and the rest of Calif. and at this time of year both passes over the crest are closed. I'm glad I got the work done on my uncle's place in Mammoth this summer and that it sold. I don't have any reason to go back. Payson folks want people to return after this pandemic runs its course, but not before! People from out of town require services such as search and rescue, PD, Gila County SO, Fire, medical and such when they come up here and get hurt. Helos are busy transporting COVID-19 or are committed to such. Hospitals may get overwhelmed and if we have a bunch of visitors taking up beds with injuries from their time in the great outdoors, then someone can't get service up here. We are fortunate to be 1.5 to 2 hours driving time between the hospital up here and most of the hospitals down in the valley. But that means we don't have enough ambulances to respond to injuries in the Mazatzals, Christopher Creek and the rest of the Rim Country while that medic unit is tied up on transportation.
[/QUOTE]
Clear your browser history and cache, the Time counter will reset.

Paysonscanner

Clear your browser history and cache, the Time counter will reset.
[/QUOTE]

I tried that and it still rejected me. I've never been accused of being a hacker!

Status
Not open for further replies.