What happened to dunellen PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Simple question. I saw changes to Piscataway NJ talk group. A section was deleted. Granted I haven't been on radioreference in awhile, I just wanted to know why Dunellen talkgroup isn't located on here anymore. Did they get deleted? Are they going back to their old VHF channel and can be heard in the clear?

W2SJW

Database Admin
Dunellen is now on Somerset County's P25 500 system, but still being dispatched by Piscataway's dispatchers.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Okay thanks guys. Just one more quick question. If I reprogram my scanner ( which is phase II) capable, can I listen to Dunellen and the opps I and II channels? Meaning are they back in the clear since it states only digital and not encrypted?

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Dunellen Phase I

The following from RR Database;

Somerset County (P25)
APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

3723 e8b D PD R12 Disp Police Region 12 - Dispatch (Dunellen) Law Dispatch
3725 e8d D PD R12 Ops 1 Police Region 12 - Ops 1 Law Tac
3727 e8f D PD R12 Ops 2 Police Region 12 - Ops 2 Law Tac

Yes, It's very good to hear them again after such a long time. Now I can be back in the loop about what's happening around town.

Also, Is the Somerset DTRS down? I'm failing to get a control channel on it now. I know they were having issues on the Motorola system because of the storm tonight.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
The Somerset P25 phase II talkgroup should be up and running. Dunellens digital on this talkgroup is strong. My Radioshack Pro 106 can decode it but sometimes transmissions are broken. So the accuracy of my transmission to hear Dunellen is about 85% at any given time. That goes for most of the talkgroup a that are not running TDMA. As for TDMA many of the talkgroups on this TRS that are labeled TDMA you can listen to them. Either they are not fully using this modulation or simply my scanner even though not technically capable of listen to that modulation can unpack the radio voice transmissions so I can listen.

Ah yeah, they were down last night for a good two hours or so after that storm. I thought it was my radio, but I got confirmation when they were asking if the system was back up. That was a weak little storm to knock out a whole system.

As for TDMA, I don't pick up much. I don't hear Region 7 or 10 over the DTRS. I have a 996xt that's probably why. Thinking of picking up one of the x36HP's.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Somerset County P25

I'm receiving Somerset County P25 system as well as Dunellen, very well in Bridgewater. There is occasion mostly late in the afternoon that Region 5 & 6 & 12 are slightly over modulated. Usually after 6:00pm it clears up. I can't explain it! But for what it's worth, the system is great! It must have something to do with the atmosphere, or could it be a demand for more power at that time of day and that's interfering with the reception? I just don't know.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Ah yeah, they were down last night for a good two hours or so after that storm. I thought it was my radio, but I got confirmation when they were asking if the system was back up. That was a weak little storm to knock out a whole system.

As for TDMA, I don't pick up much. I don't hear Region 7 or 10 over the DTRS. I have a 996xt that's probably why. Thinking of picking up one of the x36HP's.

Usually when asking if the system is back up, their referring to NCIC and the ATS systems.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
They were doing radio checks often. And they had users go back over to the TRS until it was up. Or their backup stations.

TRS was fine, but digital got knocked out.

Sorry, I thought it was my comment.... You know, this radio system (Apco P25) is so sophisticated That I'm having a tough time to keep up understanding the new terminology and acronyms, not like the 'old days' with the conventional scanner. Though, I believe I've lucked out with my choice of a new scanner and the reception I receive.

So many people on this site are having so many problems with the new scanners, I must be doing something right!

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Dunellen Phase I

SnakeEater9920, just a quick note, as I sit by my computer, Dunellen is being received loud and clear.

SnakeEater9920, just a quick note, as I sit by my computer, Dunellen is being received loud and clear.

Yeah, they're all good. They got everything back up and running by 2am this morning so no worries there. I figured most wouldn't have known about it since it happened so late and on a work night to boot.

As for the old days, yes I miss them. Being able to put one frequency into the scanner and then hear everything on it. Good times. I'm just glad I was able to experience it. I don't mind the new digital systems, in fact I like them. Nice, clear audio for the most part, safe and no stepping on each other.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
As for the old days, yes I miss them. Being able to put one frequency into the scanner and then hear everything on it. Good times. I'm just glad I was able to experience it. I don't mind the new digital systems, in fact I like them. Nice, clear audio for the most part, safe and no stepping on each other.

I agree completely with your comment, clear audio and exceptional performance. I guess it's time to let the 'old days' go!

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
How's the system sound on your 536? I'm thinking about getting a 436HP because I've always needed a portable. Would you recommend?

I hate to make recommendations about the radio, because what might be good for me may not be good for you, and vise versa. But I'll tell you this, I bought the 536 and also the 436. Had to sell a few of my older Unidens to pull that one off. I compared both and found that the reception and sensitivity was much better on the 536. I sold the 436 last month, and don't miss it. It ate up batteries and thats with quick settings for the backlight (10 second) and battery saving option in the menu. The 436 has a great display, but has some idiocrepancies I wasn't pleased with. 1) The display although large and easy to read, was also prone to banginging and scratching it. 2) Dust under display lens, comes in from earphone jack on top of radio. I hunted and found a rubber plug for stuffing in the jack to keep dust out. It worked!

After selling the 436 I replaced it with a second 536, and that has worked out well. I primarily monitor Somerset County, so I boke down the municipalities into two favorites List. One East and one West. Now I don't miss much!

If you do purchase a 436, buy it from a dealer that has a thirty day return in case you don't like it.

I hate to make recommendations about the radio, because what might be good for me may not be good for you, and vise versa. But I'll tell you this, I bought the 536 and also the 436. Had to sell a few of my older Unidens to pull that one off. I compared both and found that the reception and sensitivity was much better on the 536. I sold the 436 last month, and don't miss it. It ate up batteries and thats with quick settings for the backlight (10 second) and battery saving option in the menu. The 436 has a great display, but has some idiocrepancies I wasn't pleased with. 1) The display although large and easy to read, was also prone to banginging and scratching it. 2) Dust under display lens, comes in from earphone jack on top of radio. I hunted and found a rubber plug for stuffing in the jack to keep dust out. It worked!

After selling the 436 I replaced it with a second 536, and that has worked out well. I primarily monitor Somerset County, so I boke down the municipalities into two favorites List. One East and one West. Now I don't miss much!

If you do purchase a 436, buy it from a dealer that has a thirty day return in case you don't like it.

P25 system down again. (EDIT: Back up)

Thanks for the info, my friend. I'll definitely consider everything before making a purchase. Y'know, because I want to be sure I'll be getting something that works to my liking before blowing that much money on it. Appreciate it!

Last edited:

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
P25 system down again. (EDIT: Back up)

Thanks for the info, my friend. I'll definitely consider everything before making a purchase. Y'know, because I want to be sure I'll be getting something that works to my liking before blowing that much money on it. Appreciate it!

Your very welcome. Good luck with your hunt to find another scanner!
Dave

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Not that this is important at all cause it's common known knowledge by now, but if a administrator can either change or delete where the analog frequencies for Dunellen are.. It states that Dunellen is on the Piscataway Project 25 system, but they have migrated to Somersets's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.