• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What happened to FRS Ch 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean_kd4adv

What happened to FRS CH 3? Heard this while on my way to work this morning in Chesterfield Co., Va.

I was mobile on 360 East this morning and was scanning the Banks on my iCom ID-880H and it stopped on FRS Ch 3 and there was this data burst and I turned on my FRS handheld and turned to channel 3 and keyed up. Nothing. The batteries are new and the other channels were working fine.

I hope it's not my FRS radio.

It transmits fine on the other channels except FRS Channel 3.

Who else heard this?
Tnx :)

Sean
KD4ADV (General)
WQOJ 376 - GMRS

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure the frequency is correct in your 880H? If it's wrong, that would explain both the data and the fact you didn't hear from your FRS radio.

jdobbs2001

What happened to FRS CH 3? Heard this while on my way to work this morning in Chesterfield Co., Va.

I was mobile on 360 East this morning and was scanning the Banks on my iCom ID-880H and it stopped on FRS Ch 3 and there was this data burst and I turned on my FRS handheld and turned to channel 3 and keyed up. Nothing. The batteries are new and the other channels were working fine.

Who else heard this?

Sean
KD4ADV (General)
WQOJ 376 - GMRS

Maybe the NSA was testing remote stun feature built in to all radio equipment in the world. :)

Who else heard this?

Sean
KD4ADV (General)
WQOJ 376 - GMRS

It could be skip. When I have skip in my area channel 3 gets a data sound on it. It does it alot on the UHF band. Alot in the R2 part of UHF. HTH.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
It could be skip. When I have skip in my area channel 3 gets a data sound on it. It does it alot on the UHF band. Alot in the R2 part of UHF. HTH.

An 21 mhz ( ?? 21.7 mhz ) image. A image / skip from an image. Say around 440 or 441 Mhz? 21. It could be 21 mhz up, but I was thinking more than likely it could be 21 mhz lower.

FF - Medic

Channel Frequency (MHz) Notes
1 462.5625 Shared with GMRS
2 462.5875 Shared with GMRS

*** 3. 462.6125 Shared with GMRS ***

4 462.6375 Shared with GMRS
5 462.6625 Shared with GMRS
6 462.6875 Shared with GMRS
7 462.7125 Shared with GMRS
8 467.5625 FRS use only
9 467.5875 FRS use only
10 467.6125 FRS use only
11 467.6375 FRS use only
12 467.6625 FRS use only
13 467.6875 FRS use only
14 467.7125 FRS use only

sean_kd4adv

My Bad about FRS Ch 3

First of all, Tnx for the responses.

Second, I found out that I had entered 461 instead of 462 for FRS CH 3.

My Bad. It happens :)

I've got my iCom connected to my PC and will go in and change that :)

I hope someone develops a device that will allow you to program your radios with an iPad.

Say, Bluetooth or a mini USB to 1/8" Male cable.

If Laptops are still around, I'd like to find one and have it as secondary dedicated radio programming source along with the primary being my PC.

Anyway.
Error was discovered by me and I have been waiting to get home to inform the group.

Sean
KD4ADV
WQOJ 376

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
First of all, Tnx for the responses.

Second, I found out that I had entered 461 instead of 462 for FRS CH 3.

My Bad. It happens :)

I've got my iCom connected to my PC and will go in and change that :)

I hope someone develops a device that will allow you to program your radios with an iPad.

Say, Bluetooth or a mini USB to 1/8" Male cable.

If Laptops are still around, I'd like to find one and have it as secondary dedicated radio programming source along with the primary being my PC.

Anyway.
Error was discovered by me and I have been waiting to get home to inform the group.

Sean
KD4ADV
WQOJ 376

Yep, that explains it. Thanks for letting us know. Simple typo mistake!

saberthree

I hear the same type of data burst on my radio too but I hear it almost every single time when I put my radio on scan mode, and of course set it to that channel specifically. The channel in question is channel 9, I hear it almost in every location I go in my area and its confusing the heck out of me as to why I am hearing this. Its getting rather annoying, hearing it that I had to remove it from my scan list. I've checked my radio to ensure that I indeed have it set to the right frequency and even used a factory FRS radio to confirm that it is happening on channel 9 too. I already sent the FCC a complaint letter, hopefully they get to the bottom of this.

quarterwave

My VHF CDM1250 breaks PL around certain traffic light controllers. I figure it's a combination of the IF, the truck computer, and an image of the SCADA units frequency on the traffic light box. It's no big thing.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Oregonian here.. hearing the same thing, 462.6125. Seems to transmit about a 1/4 of a second of data every minute or so. Very strong signal as well. I don't have any radios turned on near me at the moment..

At first I heard/noticed it using an SDR and then I heard it on my scanner.

Update: A burst just transmitted and sounded considerably different than the others but was the same length. It registered different on the meter as well. It sounded like it had more data embedded than just framing like the other bursts. 0021

Update #2: Now I'm hearing what seems to be a conversation. Very long bursts followed by short bursts. I also have DSD running with my SDR and it's not decoding (or registering) any of it. 0047

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Has anyone tried to decode the FRS data yet? Could be position data (which is allowed on FRS) from say…a Garmin Rhino.

SCPD

QRT
I have a couple of small FRS walkies and if I go to channel 5 there will be almost a beep sound every second continually. Especially strong and loud near our Smart Meter. I think the meter is the culprit.
Also, I have all channels getting intermod (i guess that is what you call it) early mornings. I can hear Ham radio and a couple of farmers talking all at once. Two frequencies that are keying at the same time with both conversations being heard. One is a repeater that operates at 147.xxx and 442.xxx when the other people are on 452.xxx. It covers all the FRS channels only when the radio is in a specific spot, a couple of feet away from my television antenna pole.
As far as the data goes, I haven't heard any on FRS in my area except for the MURS. Deer wearing tracking collars.

KB7MIB

25xcool, check all the connections on your TV antenna. They may be corroded. If the antenna pole is two or more sections, where they join may also have corrosion. Any brackets that hold the pole to the house or other structure as well. Any one of these could explain your symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.