• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

what happened to handles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
This may sound like a silly question, but I was wondering if people still use handles on the CB band? I recently got a CB same model as I had as a kid and hooked it up. The only activity seems to be truckers (and a spamming radio shop) on 19.. But I never hear handles.

The truckers just seem to be talking to the guy next to them, presumably with their squelch so high only somebody right by them will get though. But no handles, more like, "hey is this where we turn..." and so on.

And when I've asked for a radio check (and I usually get good ones) it's 'your radio is working driver:.. and I thanks them and some times say I'm a base.. again non handles..

So did they go away over the years? or it it just the way on 19? I haven't heard anybody local on other channels.. I have heard some DX using numbers for ID, but clear not a callsign.. So I'm also wonder where those come from? thanks

Last edited:

PrimeNumber

I hear a few handles on what little local traffic we have here. On 38 LSB, most everyone's got sorta made up location/club & number quasi-handles. Lots of handledom still around.

Darth_vader

Yo, Model Train Geek, this is Wolverine; yeah, there are lots of handles here, too. Same with GMRS, MURS, the FRS freebander crowd... I think as long as there are two-way radio hobbyists, there will always be handles. Like it or not, they're even occasionally used in HAM radio (albeit to a considerably lesser degree due to its religious restrictions.)

Anyways, you're hitting me solid at nine over nine and I'm waving at you, how am I hitting you? Come back.

(Man, I've got to get a single-sideband rig....)

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
Actually my first handle as a kid was Atomic Man, which got dumped to become Bandit after watching a certain "driving instruction video" movie too many times :) and still watch it most every time it's on TV. Not sure if I'd still use it today if I got talking on the CB again or make up something new. Mostly I have my new old CB's for nostalgia then transmitting. Like I said, around here it's truckers and skip. Being in an apartment 80 feet up, I can heard down to the highway 5 miles away pretty good.

It's funny, I got a mobile CB to take along in the car when I drive on the highway, which isn't very often. But I remember answering a radio check one time, and out of no where the old slang came back instantly. I'd consider permanently putting one in the car if I could figure out where to put it..

I have caught myself a couple times starting to say my old XM number on the ham band instead of my ham callsign... :) Oh I remember having the big sticker from Radio Shack on the back window of the family car with the XM's on it.

But I'm having fun tinkering with this stuff again, right now I'm working on restoring an Micronta SWR/power/mod meter (the 3 meter model) that was dead when I got it. All I have left is to get the mod meter working and it's done.

Last edited:

LtDoc

A 'handle' is merely a way of identifying your self. Most people tend to make it 'distinctive' so that it's easy to remember. It may relate to something they do, or are, or enjoy. Or, it can be just the exact opposite, something totally outrageous, sort of. "Knitting Needle" and they've never even seen one? That sort of thingy. Or it could be related to where you're located, 'Ohio123' for instance. There really aren't any rules about it, it's all a matter of what 'grabs you' at some particular time. Make it as simple or as complicated as you like.
- 'Doc

That " 'Doc " is a nickname. I didn't choose it, it was given to me. Had to pick something as a user name and since I kept hearing that one, that's what I picked. No significance to it...

peterwo2e

During the cb high days 70s to the 80s (my time) handles were very popular but there is this thing call nature that allowed you to speak to just about any country in the world. there was a language barrier issue not to mention noisy conditions and bad propagation etc. Now here it is where the handles were a big problem, you had the non-English speaking countries trying to copy BASEBALL MAN thru QSB, QRM etc. But numbers are easier to understand not to mention they are shorter than handles. Great idea let’s use numbers. Here you go, the birth of numbers as handles was born it became a trend sort of like fashion. Now everybody that’s left on CB has numbers instead. By the way I did not research this. This is just base on my opinion only and my educated guess. But I really do not have any other explanation.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
By the way I did not research this. This is just base on my opinion only and my educated guess. But I really do not have any other explanation.

Oh I don't expect and hard core research, just was curious about the changes and people opinions on how they happens over the years.And that's exactly what you and the other's a telling telling me. THank you:)

I remember as a kid, the local newspaper had a column you for mail (notice no E- ) your handle, stand-by channel, name, town and this published a list in the newspaper! It was kind of cool, like a phone book of handles.

It's funny, a forum on radios is now taking the place of stuff we probably would have talked about on the radio had we me in range of each other.

WB4CS

1) CB is dying and isn't what it used to be.

2) Maybe the users on CB realized how ridiculous it is referring to one's self with names such as "Big old fart dog" and decided that maybe using their name is an acceptable way to introduce themselves.

:)

Dawn

'Like it or not, they're even occasionally used in HAM radio (albeit to a considerably lesser degree due to its religious restrictions.)"

Your aversion to dogma aside, it's mandated by part 97. Ham radio has always been a social networking system, so like Facebook, it doesn't nobody any good to conceal themselves behind a facade if you have expectations of being accessible to anyone seeking you or have a social standing among your peers.

The anonymity of handles was specificaly for concealing identity while at the same time revealing perhaps some interest or occupation you may have had. Many of the handles of old were like that with references to hobbies, interests, and many times someone appeared with a starting handle that got changed by other users to some nickname that suitably applied and often stuck based on the collective impression by others. If the guy showed up finally at a break and used a handle of Machoman and turned out he was 5'2" and mousey in person, he might have been branded Pipsqueak and it stuck. Lots of people were that way with almost an alternative personality behind a mic in private where IRL they were totally different. I remember this guy that used to have an almost megalmaniacal charismatic presence like a DJ and used to refer to himself as the "mouth of the south" that his attitude and BS impressed a lot of newcomers. Turned out to be this scrawny, pot head, kid dropout that lived with his mother and worked for a bathroom custodial service. I also think that a lot of people seem to forget the high risk stakes expecially in larger cities when you had a very agressive FCC that spent manpower in evening often aided and abetted with amateur operators hunting down violators. Handles made that much more difficult. One thing that I found interesting in the latter 90's was the adoption of newsgroup screen name-like net handles in place of traditional ones by some people.

Darth_vader

"it doesn't nobody any good"

What?

Also, please use your "enter" key more often. I know for a fact I'm not the first one to tell you that.

Dawn

I'm sure you're bright enough to understand the error within the context of the sentence.

There is no need to "use the enter key". This is a formal paragraph and expresses a complete thought. I well versed in writing and don't bother with writing down to 4th grader's attention span or comprehension. I write at an adult level and expect those that read what I write to have similar levels of comprehension. Breaking up text in small, easily digestible, written, sound bites is for those that appear to have deficits in patience and verbal and cognitive ability.

newspix83

lots of times it's driver this or driver that. Then made up numbers. You can call yourself what ever you want but if someone can find a way to make fun of it they will.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
'Like it or not, they're even occasionally used in HAM radio (albeit to a considerably lesser degree due to its religious restrictions.)"

Your aversion to dogma aside, it's mandated by part 97. Ham radio has always been a social networking system, so like Facebook, it doesn't nobody any good to conceal themselves behind a facade if you have expectations of being accessible to anyone seeking you or have a social standing among your peers.

Tactical Callsigns…used a lot in times where hams volunteer their time for natural disasters, marathons, cross county/country events. I can easily see where someone might think a tac call is a handle and aren't really listening for people to ID…then again sometimes when using a tac call IDing is a little difficult to remember.

My view on it. I was given a handle by some drivers when I was 17 years old. Now I'm 21 and for the last year or so have been largely absent from CB (been having too much fun playing on both ham and GMRS) but everyone who knows me knows if they call me by name and I'm listening, I'll always come back no matter what service it is.

pyro424

When I first got into CB I was taught that handles were for AM but were frowned upon on SSB. On sideband you either had to make up your own number or get issued numbers from the local side band club. We were also taught to only use AM on channels 1-30 and channels 30-40 were reserved for side band only. These days I hear truckers chatting on channels above 30 all the time. Back a few years ago if someone would dare transmit AM above 30 they would get chewed out. Instantly some "side bander" would be there to chastise them. These days really only Lower 38 is active. The only AM use is by truckers and skip. It is funny reflecting on all the unwritten rules we had back then. Most people followed by them. When some operators did not they often faced the wrath of the pin in the coax. One time a chain was even attached to a guys antenna and the other end to a pick up truck. Wow those were the good ole days.

SpectreOZ

When I first got into CB I was taught that handles were for AM but were frowned upon on SSB. On sideband you either had to make up your own number or get issued numbers from the local side band club. We were also taught to only use AM on channels 1-30 and channels 30-40 were reserved for side band only.

That was pretty much my experience down here in Australia as well, although 16LSB was still in use for SSB'ers.

No point simply using your name if there was another 12 Fred/Bob's in your particular town, handles were more like unique nicknames ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.