What happened to NYSEG???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Has NYSEG gone dark? I listen ALL the time and in the last week I've heard one call. I'm in the lower Hudson valley, in Putnam county. I can Rx two sites that cover Putnam & Dutchess counties. No comms in the last 4 days. I even left the sacnners on at full volume 24-7 & nothing. What's happening in the rest of the state? Listening on a HP-2, 996XT, HP-1 and ICOM F70DT..........Nothing. This is not good, hope the didn't go encrypted.

Bob,
N2OAM

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Has NYSEG gone dark? I listen ALL the time and in the last week I've heard one call. I'm in the lower Hudson valley, in Putnam county. I can Rx two sites that cover Putnam & Dutchess counties. No comms in the last 4 days. I even left the sacnners on at full volume 24-7 & nothing. What's happening in the rest of the state? Listening on a HP-2, 996XT, HP-1 and ICOM F70DT..........Nothing. This is not good, hope the didn't go encrypted.

Bob,
N2OAM
There were multiple changes to NYSEG over the past week or two in the RR database. Since you are a premium subscriber, you'll want to down load fresh data for your scanner.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
As of this morning, all same-same from where I listen. I usually only hear Liberty and Vestal. I updated my Favorite from the RR db just to be certain...

rbm

They've been active all day in the Broome County area.
House fire, wires down, etc..

As SteveC0625 mentioned, maybe there were changes to your local site.

I have one system file for my immediate area, and others for the remaining NYSEG sites.
One scanner devoted to local, and another devoted to the rest of the sites I can receive from here.

Rich

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There were multiple changes to NYSEG over the past week or two in the RR database. Since you are a premium subscriber, you'll want to down load fresh data for your scanner.

No significant changes were made, simply a lot of cleaning up of site names and neighbor lists.

The only noteworthy change was the addition of Site 51, and today the addition of Site 34.

k2ns

NYSEG

Bob,

They're still full scale here in Putnam Valley, and they were pretty active this weekend.. I haven't changed any settings or frequencies for them for a long time, and they're still there.

RON

KA2IIA

D

DaveNF2G

I haven't heard anything on their system in the Albany area in months. Could be my location, I suppose, but I figured I would at least get sites that are co-located with stuff that I can receive from here.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the problem was the Stridsberg active multicoupler. My Austin Ferret antenna is only about 20 feet away from my HF dipole antenna. Been spending lots of time on 75 meter AM, running a Flex 5000 into an Alpha 86 running at full legal limit. Looks like I cooked either the FET or the pair of back to back Schottky diodes, that SHOULD provide protection from strong RF fields.

I called Stridsberg Engineering, explained the situation, they said send it in & we will fix it, no charge. They also said that they would do some upgrades, too, as mine was purchased from them around 2002.
Nice to see a company that stands behind their products, even though it was my fault the product failed.

I ordered the parts to cobble together a 40 Mhz hi-pass filter that should eliminate the problem. All this got me thinking about the antenna & feedline that I put up in the mid 90's. I ordered a DPD productions OMNI X antenna and some Bury Flex low loss coax from Davis RF. The Ferret antenna may or may not be good, but the air core coax cable is surely no good. It wouldn't surprise me if it's filled with water after 20+ years. I'm also moving the antenna to a chimney mount, where it will be about 35 feet away from the dipole.

Hopefully, this will get everything back up & running.

Happy New Year & 73 to all,
Bob
N2OAM

D

DaveNF2G

OT - I had the same experience with Stridsberg when I cooked my multicoupler. Great folks.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard anything on their system in the Albany area in months. Could be my location, I suppose, but I figured I would at least get sites that are co-located with stuff that I can receive from here.

Do you mean no voice traffic, or no control channels? Earlier today I confirmed Clifton Park, Austerlitz and Hoosic have CCs on the air. I also confirmed that site 22 is Burch Hill in Hebron and I submitted to the database. Someday I might take a drive south and try to figure the unidentifed neighbors to Austerlitz (11 and 20).

Edit: Oh, and Burch had no unidentified adjacencies.

Last edited:

leeljs

Premium Subscriber
NYSEG Erie County

I am programing my BCD996XT with Freescan can someone tell me what trunking format to use for the NYSEG p25 system listed at the bottom of the Erie County database. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

leeljs

Premium Subscriber
I am programing my BCD996XT with Freescan can someone tell me what trunking format to use for the NYSEG p25 system listed at the bottom of the Erie County database. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
location western NY Erie county

rbm

The easiest way is to import from the RR database.

But.....
Here's one way to do it.

You can do this. (I don't know what NYSEG sites are in your reception area)
If you know the site, write down the control channel frequency.
Or
If you don't know the site(s) in your area, you can tune to each control channel shown in the database and then write down the active CC's.

Then, you can program one or more systems for NYSEG.
I have one for my 'most local' site using one System Quick Key (8).
All the rest of the sites that I can receive are programmed using another System Quick Key (99).

Here's a sample of the FreeSCAN system for my local site.

Rich

Program the Control Channel frequency(s)

Program all of the talk groups you want to receive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.