What Happens When THe SD Card Is Full From Recording?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Do GRE / Whistler scanners automatically delete the oldest recording files and just keep running and recording new files when the SD card gets full? I have a PSR-800 and a WS-1080.

CanesFan95

Disappointment.

It says:

"When the MicroSD card is almost full, the F icon will appear in the display to indicate that recording is suspended. Delete or archive old audio files to make room for new recordings."

That's a bummer that you can't make it just automatically delete the oldest files and keep recording. I was hoping to be able to just set it and forget it.

Ubbe

It doesn't use much memory for recordings. I have the SD card formatted as 500MB and I save around 800 recordings until it's full.

If you still run out of space with a 4GB card, and you want to archive everything, you can move the card to a card reader and move the files to your PC for monitoring later on. Point EZScan to your folder on your PC to sort and listen to the recordings.

I prefere the old recordings to not be overwritten as there could be something important I have missed.

/Ubbe

troymail

Silent Key
Yup - even on a small card, I've only seen the flash "F" a couple of times dating back to the original PSR800 -- and I record everything.

I find "the other guy's" recording features more lacking ... having to remember to manually enable recording on each and every power up, no ability to selectively record (if desired), the radio crashing and rebooting when it reaches 2Gb +/- of recordings and disabling recording (and other settings).

A 4 Gb card can go a long long time before filling up...

SCPD

QRT
Yup - even on a small card, I've only seen the flash "F" a couple of times dating back to the original PSR800 -- and I record everything.

I find "the other guy's" recording features more lacking ... having to remember to manually enable recording on each and every power up, no ability to selectively record (if desired), the radio crashing and rebooting when it reaches 2Gb +/- of recordings and disabling recording (and other settings).

A 4 Gb card can go a long long time before filling up...

Agreed 100% .. today wanted to get some audio from my Uniden 536HP only to find out that it stopped recording 5 days ago. My Whistler never has that issue .. it always is recording.

I do not know if it was my error (not turning on the recording), but it has happened several times, so right now I am leaning towards what Troymail said and that is scanner failure. But overall .. disappointed as I have no audio for the event I wanted. So the whole full SD card is pretty minor compared to using a Uniden.

SOFA_KING

My 536 almost always resets during recordings these days. I deleted hundreds of older recordings, and it still does that. A genuine 32 GB Sandisk Ultra Extreme Pro card should not have this issue, so it's not the card.

My TRX-2 is up to 531,000+ "selective" recordings now, and never an issue. And I much prefer the continuous recording method NOT in groups of 100. That being said, I don't like the time consuming kludgy method of selecting playback. Unless I missed it somewhere, I would like a way to key in the date where I want playback to start. And maybe a way to key in start and stop playback range. Same with delete range.

But Uniden has serious problems with recording that they never addressed. I consider is unreliable, as I have discovered many time after returning for work travel and only getting maybe just two hours of recording of a four day trip. That sucks!

Phil

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Phil .. I was wondering if I was losing it.

Edit .. I see my 536HP has once again stopped recording. The thing ... I do not use it. It only sits and records and it cannot even get that right.

Ubbe

The fat32 system only allows less than 65000 files with long filenames in one directory. When you reach 8GB of recordings you will probably hit that mark and have no use for a bigger card. It has been stated in RR forum that BCDx36HP will reset when it reaches the file limit.

/Ubbe

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I have a TRX-2, and it just *automatically* deleted about 6000 of the 14000 files it had recorded. I had just listened to about 50 recordings and then selected "delete earlier" to erase them. But something like the words "cleaning up" showed on the display, and after a few minutes almost half of the recordings were gone.

I assume it did this because the SD card was almost full. But the manual doesn't mention automatic deletion.
It just says an F will appear on the screen, so you can manually delete files. .

Anyone else have this happen? Thanks.

Ubbe

The TRX-2's SD card handling is terrible and painfully slow. I only listen to the last recordings on the TRX-2, never delete, as it often will trash the file structure.

The same problems when programing the SD card when it sits in the scanner. I always move the SD card to the computer and program it from there and listen and erease recorded files.

It doesn't matter what size or brand of SD card I use.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.