What have I picked up at 96.9 FM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

Mods,

Please move this if appropriate. Not sure where to post this. Looks like broadcast FM propagation is good tonight, as in my RF dead zone hurricane proof apartment, I'm getting more stations than I normally pick up. Currently at 02:45 UTC in Boynton Beach, Florida, my SDR has a good signal at 96.9. I know the frequency is accurate as I heard a DJ announce the frequency in Spanish, but without a call sign. The format is contemporary Spanish music. Not sure if the genre is dance, but the songs are all fast-moving Salsa like. As I'm composing the DJ just announced 96.9 as well as 94.7, however, I can't get any reception on 94.7. This is not WWWO-Power-One radio, as I found a live stream and it wasn't what I was listening to.

Can somebody figure out what I've picked up and where the transmitter is? If this helps as a clue, looks like this isn't live as DJs voices keep switching from female to male. A male voice just said in English, "Nothing but the hits," before calling out both frequencies in Spanish again.

Also, are there any FCC regulations regarding commercial radio stations announcing their call signs with a certain frequency?

dragon48

Not a pirate. I stayed awake long enough, and at the top of the hour, the DJ announced WWRF, which points to:

They don't have any working live streams, but after looking at their web page, it's clear I found what I was looking for. I'm disappointed though that their transmitter is only around 7 miles from my location. Not the reception magic I thought I had found. Could just be related to my having moved my indoor antenna to a different location while trying to get better reception for another local station. Their coverage map shows my location at the edge of their range.

Was more fun figuring this out than watching some random Netflix show. :)

Reactions: wtp

CrabbyMilton

It could be someone nearby listening to a radio program and extending it via one of those small FM transmitters. I have one that I use in the car when I take my scanner along and you can use any frequency you want.

CrabbyMilton

It was just an abstract theory. But then you have to remember that many of these FM stations are automated and formats can and do change without notice. Sounds like an experimental operation trying to get noticed and attract advertisers.

KA0KDW

An acutual update to legal identification for radio. Commercial radio is now only required to identify at the top of the hour (some still ID at the bottom of the hour). It’s actually a 10 minute window (5 minutes before the hour to five minutes after the hour). Use to it was twice an hour. But well over 10-15 years ago they did away with the twice an hour requirement. Have a couple friends who are in legal for commercial broadcast (radio and television).

Status
Not open for further replies.