What I could hear during a car chase

Status
Not open for further replies.

bep

Premium Subscriber
A high speed car chase by VSP just ended, and it ended close to my location. I heard the call to assist on the CVB channel. I then turned on (do not ask why it was not on) my scanned I use for the state. It is not digital. I could hear the female dispatcher, but not the officer in the car.

Is this part of the new STARS that I am not hearing the cars, or just bad reception?

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
It is the CTCSS tone. It is a use of sub-audible tones that are transmitted along with the speech portion of the transmission which allows more than one agency (or fleet) to use the same radio frequency without causing undue interference to another agency on the that frequency.

SCPD

QRT
127.3 is the PL tone... I was listening to that call also. Found the suspect at the top of a hotel parking garage. Funny thing about that channel is I was hearing both sides of the traffic for the last two days til the Trooper side of the conversation went quiet. I am going to try the input channel to see what I can hear. (155.460)

Mark

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
Is it possibile that 159.1350 is a simucast of STARs VSP Ches 2? I only have one scanner, but it seems that whenever the dispatcher talks on VSP Ches 2 I hit the scan button and catch the end of the transmission on 159.1350 sounds like the same dispatcher, but I could be wrong.

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
ok I just confirmed it on a BOLO. The dispacther was brodcasting a BOLO and it was coming across STARs VSP Ches 2 and 159.1350 (127.3) at the same time. Thankfully the BOLO discription was long enough to be picked up by my 396XT on both systems.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
So I can assume that my analog scanner, for VSP, will be useless in the very near future.

At some point, yes. I think I read where Mark posted on another thread there were annoying noises on one or both of Chesapeake's channels and he had to lock them out for a brief period. VSP Richmond has been simulcasting for a couple of years, but eventually the legacy channels (ie. 159.135) will go quiet.

Todd

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
BTW, I don't know if you have the input channels in that Mark (inv. 16) showed but take a look at this link if you do not. Virginia State Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Since you are only hearing the dispatch side, you may want to program the "input" frequencies as well. You may have to select the "input frequencies" as "shown" on the web-page. If you program the input in the space ahead of the repeater, you can hear a trooper calling Chesapeake if he is close by. Do not program this frequency w/ a delay, or you may miss some of the dispatch replying.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
At 0640 I heard 3 troopers talking to each other on 158.985 #1 testing their radios. Then they went back to another channel but never said what it was and I have not heard them since. With all the troopers I have heard since 0430 headed to Richmond for the inauguration, it is gonna be pretty busy on the radio I believe.

arvellabill

Virginia State Police dispatchers have the ability to turn on and off their repeators. After Va. went to the VHF high band that they have used for some 20 years theu still broadcasted in simplex mode so their side was all that was heard. Troopers would request an open repeator to talk to other troopers. It stayed that way until a VSP trooper was killed in a rest stop in Prince William Co. Then the old guard realized why we, the tax payer paid all of that money to get the up to date system. However some times the dispatchers forget to open up the repeator so we only hear half of a transmission. Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.