What I would like to see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOFA_KING

Another "What I would like to see in a new GRE scanner line" thread. :D

1 - Conventional P25 Encryption Masking! (with soft boo-boop alert while masking)
2 - MDC1200 Burst Masking! (and message display?)
3 - FM Broadcast RF Filter Built Into the Radio to Prevent Front End Overload!
4 - MotoTrbo Decoding
5 - D-STAR Decoding and Message/data Display
6 - More Memory in Each V-folder
7 - More Control Channel Memory
8 - Much More Lockout Memory for Search/Sweep
9 - User Programmable Sweep Ranges
10 - A Way to Search/Sweep for Coded NAC/CTCSS/DCS Only! (not carrier squelch...unless optional)

Those are the big 10 on my list of wants. I love all the control features of the 500/600. Keep all those! Maybe the one extra feature I would like to have is squelch level memory setting on each channel. Some channels need a higher squelch setting...but not at the expense of the others that do not.

So....GRE...Are you up to the task to make the next generation full service scanner?

Phil :cool:

EDIT: Faster scanning and louder audio would always be a plus!

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Just having #3 would be quite the accomplishment. I think you're on the way to making a nice Uniden defeating radio though!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
GRE are you reading?

I see these lists all the time, and I find it interesting some of the 'little' things that people would like to see. Some of them have zero build cost and would greatly enhance the product.

My little list (I have a much larger one) is:
1. Make the serial protocol used by the scanner open so that developers can create software to operate it. This would include programming, monitoring (such as for feeding streams) and complete remote control.

2. On the base model, why not install a number of different antenna inputs? I suggest 4. Each channel would have the means to select which antenna it is to use. Then I could put up a low band antenna, an omni-directional, and two very directional antennas (perhaps in different bands) to optimize signal reception for various frequencies/channels.

SOFA_KING said:
EDIT: Faster scanning and louder audio would always be a plus!
I don't think the average user understands why this is a BAD idea. Faster scanning LOWERS sensitivity or overall reception. It takes time for the signal to get from the antenna input to where it is detected by the CPU, and that is after the receive frequency has been selected. Add CT/DC/NAC decoding and that slows down the scan further. Certainly faster electronics can be used (to a point), but that is an extra cost that I don't think makes sense and increases power consumption (using the same technology).

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I would be thrilled with just a more overload resistant front end on it. The FM broadcast filter would be a great idea too/instead.

Dream features would be:

An SD card slot that accepts at least a 16 gig card that can be used for recording at at least 3 sample rates, and/or programming.

A configurable and larger display where larger fonts can be selected/edited and also variable color backlighting, I really hate yellow! The space could be found for it by moving some of the buttons off the front panel and making them slectable with the "FUNC" key.

A polycarbonate case, and a REAL BNC connector! Do they really need to save a dime on a $400 radio by using the junk "forked" connector?

SOFA_KING

Just having #3 would be quite the accomplishment. I think you're on the way to making a nice Uniden defeating radio though!

:D Thanks, Wayne. I use a 75 Ohm FM filter on my base and mobile now, and it works for the most part. My VHF reception would get wiped otherwise. But it would be nice not to have the external bagage. The filter looks silly on the pocket scanner. Some of these others, like MotoTrbo and D-STAR, are heavy hitters. Those digital modes are here to stay, so might as well make a scanner that does them...and does all the features those modes do, including coded squelch options (plus searching) and whatnot. ;)

At least this time I didn't "banter" about the P25 Encryption Mask. :D

And don't we always want the fastest scan we can get and the loudest audio? To say we didn't would be a lie. The GRE's are pretty fast now, but faster scanning doesn't have to mean a less sensitive receive. Look at how sssssllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwww scanners were back in the 70's and 80's. Todays scanners are 100X faster, and even more sensitive. It's called innovation.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Both GRE and RadioShack will be at the Dayton Hamvention this year. Maybe you should make your ideas known there also.

Highpockets

After reading one of the threads about Motorola Shuffled Band Plan systems on RR, GRE may want to look into a way to enter a simple Custom Band Plan. I'm sure they are aware of this and working on it already.

Last edited:

DonS

After reading one of the threads about Motorola Shuffled Band Plan systems on RR, GRE may want to look into a way to enter a simple Custom Band Plan. I'm sure they are aware of this and working on it already.

"They" are definitely working on it.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
And don't we always want the fastest scan we can get and the loudest audio? To say we didn't would be a lie. The GRE's are pretty fast now, but faster scanning doesn't have to mean a less sensitive receive. Look at how sssssllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwww scanners were back in the 70's and 80's. Todays scanners are 100X faster, and even more sensitive. It's called innovation.
That's like comparing vacuum tubes to transistors. Those slow scanners had to fire up a crystal per channel. There's a lot more going on.

Today's scanners are using PLL circuits with frequency synthesis and certainly much faster. But there are practical limits. You can't just scan as fast as you want with the present technology. Certainly with newer technology the speeds can increase ... to a point. There are still going to be some laws of physics that apply. ;)

wwhitby

Feed Provider
1) Better VHF filtering - my '500 is almost useless on non NAC/PL/DPL VHF frequencies in a metro area with anything more than a rubber duck. My PRO-96 (heck my RELM HS-200) are better on VHF.

2) Remove the limits on the number of trunked frequencies per system.

3) More memory - those statewide or county wide trunked system take up a lot of space. Either more internal, or have an SD or micro SD card slot.

4) NXDN demodulation

5) Railroad service search, showing the AAR channel numbers.

Warren

gerfmon

I'd love to see alpha tagging of the control channels. Like on the last generation of digital scanners. Plus most of the stuff mentioned above. :)

Jerry, KD0GS

grumpy_hermit

I just want (1) better volume control at low levels and (2) a simple wireless remote to adjust volume and pause/resume scanning. :p

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
http://forums.radioreference.com/gr...-new-product-announcements-4.html#post1233853

#1 Before I ever consider buying another GRE or RS branded GRE product:

A public letter of apology from GRE's marketing department for thinking people are too stupid to manually program their radios.

Nonsense! I believe you will see more of this feature type in the future models. I consider it a great feature because you can have the entire Radioreference database available on your radio, this is huge if you travel to the next county or several states away, or even at home. Just because you didn't program it from a PC or a keypad, and I'm nearly sure the future models will also have to include keypads, this doesn't mean your too stupid to program your radio. The next logical step would be a smart scanner with Wifi connection to import your database into the memory or listen to live stream radio. The biggest problem with the programming is that the users need to make sure their data is up to date and includes all the agencies they want to listen to. If it's wrong in the Radioreference database, then it's wrong in the imported database.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
1) Better VHF filtering - my '500 is almost useless on non NAC/PL/DPL VHF frequencies in a metro area with anything more than a rubber duck. My PRO-96 (heck my RELM HS-200) are better on VHF.

2) Remove the limits on the number of trunked frequencies per system.

3) More memory - those statewide or county wide trunked system take up a lot of space. Either more internal, or have an SD or micro SD card slot.

4) NXDN demodulation

5) Railroad service search, showing the AAR channel numbers.

Warren

HI Warren,

I thought there was a capacity to the amount of trunked frequencies in a system (28)? Are you referring to multiple towers in a system?

I believe the current Uniden (XT) and GRE radios include the AAR numbers.
As an example, this is from the GRE PSR500 manual: Railroad - searches the Association of American Railroads (AAR) VHF railroad frequencies used in the US and Canada.

If NXDN uses IP, isn't that proprietary?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

It's a little harder to do from the keypad, and not something you do every day, but I think Mike has it setup well on PSREdit and Don has it in WinXX series of programs. I don't know about the Gommert's ARC versions.

Highpockets

It's a little harder to do from the keypad, and not something you do every day, but I think Mike has it setup well on PSREdit and Don has it in WinXX series of programs. I don't know about the Gommert's ARC versions.

It looks like it's a little easier to enter the plan for these types of systems with the Uniden models with the + - for polarity, cutting down the entries you have to enter in the band plan. Your right about Don though, he's on top of it. :D

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Nonsense! I believe you will see more of this feature type in the future models. I consider it a great feature because you can have the entire Radioreference database available on your radio, this is huge if you travel to the next county or several states away, or even at home. Just because you didn't program it from a PC or a keypad, and I'm nearly sure the future models will also have to include keypads, this doesn't mean your too stupid to program your radio. The next logical step would be a smart scanner with Wifi connection to import your database into the memory or listen to live stream radio. The biggest problem with the programming is that the users need to make sure their data is up to date and includes all the agencies they want to listen to. If it's wrong in the Radioreference database, then it's wrong in the imported database.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the radio, but the way the marketing department rolled them out, it says to me that they don't think I know a) how to program their radios and b) that the radios that are supposed to be "Revolutionary" have already been released, one of the models by them under the RS name and the other, a race scanner, which Uniden has had out for years. You want me as a customer, don't treat me like I'm stupid.

B_Mitchell

How about MPT-1327 Trunking, there are more and more systems coming online.
Why is it so hard to build a scanner that does this ?
MotoTRBO would also be nice, as there is also more and more of this.
I agree with the others here, a SD memory card would be nice for traveling.
How about a COLOR LCD display ?

Status
Not open for further replies.