SDS100/SDS200: what if SDS100 source code and hardware were open....

hruskacha

Premium Subscriber
What would you like to see on an SDS100 if the ability to add programs was possible? Note, the SDS100 waterfall has a 17MHz option for bandwidth, so I'm sure theres some neat hardware under the hood that has potential... But im not sure if it can tune to 100% of the sped'd frequency range like a normal RTL-SDR can? I thought the SDS100/other scanners had spots they cant tune to...

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
What would you like to see on an SDS100 if the ability to add programs was possible? Note, the SDS100 waterfall has a 17MHz option for bandwidth, so I'm sure theres some neat hardware under the hood that has potential... But im not sure if it can tune to 100% of the sped'd frequency range like a normal RTL-SDR can? I thought the SDS100/other scanners had spots they cant tune to...

Not likely to happen.

The idea of open source code for Uniden scanners was already proposed previously with 8 pages of discussion..... have a thorough read through that thread here:

Ubbe

But im not sure if it can tune to 100% of the sped'd frequency range like a normal RTL-SDR can?
If you look at the waterfall in its 17MHz span you'll see that the update of the whole frequency range are pretty much instant. It could easily have a peak detect function where you set how much above the noise floor it should detect a signal. 17MHz are 118MHz to 135MHz so it's only missing the top 2MHz of VHF air.

The 2.88MHz span can do instant audio decode and using that 2.88 six times over the frequency range will give that 17MHz max span width but as it constantly switch the 2.88MHz chunk it cannot decode audio. If they expanded it to do seven samples over the frequency range it would cover the whole VHF air frequency band.

Looking at the waterfall it looks to be updating at a 100mS rate using a 17MHz span but that could be a display limit and not a receiver limit. But anyhow if it where the receive rate update they could do a 200mS update and cover 34MHz. It probably would be possible to do the same sort of quick search as a SDR-RTL with SDR# and a PC.

/Ubbe