What is a AOR DV-10 B Grade Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
It is a DV10 someone has (sensibly) returned. As you see it is advertised at £100 less than their 'new' price

questnz

I don't own one, but what i am reading here about DV-10 it should have C grade sticker. From the specification supplied it should be best receiver to date, but reading about problems, non existing support and performance, it is a dud !

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I'm thoroughly enjoying mine after 1 month's ownership. Guess I'm a part of an overwhelming minority

I am pleased you are enjoying your DV10. No doubt others are as well.

The concept was excellent, and it will pick up lots of signals. Although there are still firmware problems, they could be fixed over time with a bit of directed effort from AOR, considering its pedigree and price however the main problem which can never be correctly cured except by a hardware 'fix' is the frequency instability.

Particularly with weaker Digital signals this can only result in some of them being missed by the Receiver. As they are Digital that is a 'total' miss, with no indication at all they exist, and would only become apparent if running a frequency stable Digital receiver alongside it at the same time.

Narrow HF side band signals will also suffer, but at least usually one will be able to hear those, and correct them by tuning, although one has to ask 'should this be necessary' in what should be a top end Radio, as is any form of frequency instability that compromises performance?

AOR will have no incentive to correct the hardware, whilst any Customer accepts these issues.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I returned mine after less than a week. Was hoping for a good one but it was not to be. Obviously there are a few good ones out there but not my example. Nevada B grade stock are likely returned units so you would be getting someone else’s problem.

mrkelso

Mine has been sitting in my closet for months now, i may just sell it off and move along.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I returned mine after less than a week. Was hoping for a good one but it was not to be. Obviously there are a few good ones out there but not my example. Nevada B grade stock are likely returned units so you would be getting someone else’s problem.

It is unlikely any of them are really different, just different people's perspectives after shelling out so much money. Personally I think you made the right decision.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber

I returned two separate DV-10's. Both had issues with decoding CTCSS analog audio. I now have the DV-1 with no issues.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, twenty plus years ago AOR had the engineering expertise to design a broad coverage handheld receiver. My original 8200 (purchased from Javiation) has served me well for two decades plus a few years. Just my opinion but it appears all that expertise has retired or moved on and AOR are left with newb engineers who are possibly over their head. I hate to speculate because so little is known about AOR and the relationship with Yaesu. Japanese are pretty closed mouth as a people and AOR even more so.

Icom have the expertise but their "no DMR" decision is likely having some impact on the bottom line, but they don't seem to be particularly worried over loss of market share. I'm not likely to pay to add the DMR feature to my Uniden products when TYT DMR handhelds can be picked up for $50 on the used market. I have to wonder where are hobby is headed in the future......

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
In the 1980'a pop song was released called 'Video Killed the Radio Star '.

I fear one day in the not so distant future, as far as scanning goes that can be re-named
'Digital Encryption Killed the Radio Store'. Very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.