• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What is a cb 50 amazer

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

Just found one in new condition. Original from the 70's. Are these good when used on the top of a big stick? Thinking on what to do with it. Do they have a better trans and receive over the original big stick stick top? Help Needed Ron

Token

Just found one in new condition. Original from the 70's. Are these good when used on the top of a big stick? Thinking on what to do with it. Do they have a better trans and receive over the original big stick stick top? Help Needed Ron

I assume you are talking about a Francis CB 50 Amazer? This was a loaded colinear mobile antenna just a little shorter than a 102" whip if I remember correctly. If this is the antenna you are talking about I used one in years gone by. It is a mobile and could be argued it is better than a 102" whip, but I never really saw any improvement, not worse, just not really better. The simplicity and bandwidth of the 102 won me over every time.

If you are comparing it to the Shakespeare Big Stick 18’ marine antenna then I would have to give the nod to the Shakespeare. But I am not really sure what you mean by “Do they have a better trans and receive over the original big stick stick top?”

T!

W2NJS

Ron,

Save your money. There is no "free lunch" when it comes to antennas, their actual operation, or their theory of operation. If you have room for a 102 inch quarter-wave CB whip then use it.

JayMojave

Hello Darticus: I have not heard that anyone say by replacing the top of any fiberglass antenna that the FA CB 50 is a better antenna.

Its just a 1/4 wave length whip antenna that does work quit well on my mobile, but because its 96 inches long (8 Ft) it hits all the low lying trees, and Cable TV Coaxes. After a few years of hitting every low darn thing out there it will show its wear.

Have made my own matching circuit and cut the antenna to 6 Ft so now it doesn't hit all the crap and make a deathning "Keer-Kong" in the cab when it hits something.

Jay in the Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.