What is a good all around scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5aoi

Wanting to know what is a good all around scanner that will not kill the bank? One that I can use on all the digital trunking systems.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Wanting to know what is a good all around scanner that will not kill the bank? One that I can use on all the digital trunking systems.

You did not define "kill the bank". But by saying that, assuming what you likely mean, you better plan on killing the bank. In trying to get better help here, you might define "kill the bank" to see if anyone thinks anything is possible in that range and what you would not get at that price.

Last edited:

kc5aoi

Getting back into the hobby

What is a good scanner to get without breaking the bank and not having to modify it that will be able to monitor just about all of the police and fire bands that are in use today? Also user-friendly.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Uniden BCD436HP, BCD536HP, or HomePatrol 2. You will need Phase 2 to monitor Baytown, Liberty County, and Chambers County, and these scanners are not cheap. Expect to pay around $500 unless you can find a used one. Actually, nothing has changed since the last time you asked this question.

Last edited:

mparker

Getting back into the hobby

Actually, nothing has changed since the last time you asked this question.

I also gave up on the hobby after my local PD went digital. There were just far to many variables with the blossoming tech to plop down $600ish on a new piece of gear.

I am still waiting... has there been any huge advancements? Is simulcast still an issue? Is there anything on the horizon?

I am slightly leaning towards Whistler only because I’ve had Uniden all my life.. maybe it’s time to try something different.

My big hang ups are mobile or handheld and it has to be Mac friendly.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
it has to be Mac friendly.

No scanner manufacturer offers Mac software.

Is there anything on the horizon?

No one who knows is going to say anything. Anyone who says anything by definition doesn't know what they are talking about. Asking is a complete waste of time.

mparker

No one who knows is going to say anything. Anyone who says anything by definition doesn't know what they are talking about. Asking is a complete waste of time.

That’s the vibe I got from Dayton 2 years ago.

It’s like the manufactures want you to buy now and buy later. Is The days of having a radio/gear for 30years over?

Ham radio has gone a very similar route. They are pushing out gear before comms technology is proven or standardized. As a end user it is really annoying because the price of gear certainly isn’t getting cheaper... I simply can’t afford to plunk down $1000 for a new base or $700 on a HT every year...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The days of having a radio/gear for 30years over?

Until a digital standard that is provably close to the theoretical limits of audio quality and RF noise resistance gains dominance for a few decades, yes. Technology is advancing way too fast for a 30-year equipment lifespan to be practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.