What Is A Good Alternative To Cable and Dish?

TailGator911

Premium Subscriber
My wife went out and bought an Amazon Firestik based on a friend's recommendation. I have no idea what is the best, the worst, the most popular, etc., apps to download to get what we want. Any advice very much appreciated - thanks!

bharvey2

We've had a Firestik for a few years but don't use it that often anymore. Although, my wife uses is with the Amazon Prime account to watch Amazon's selection of movies. If you're looking for CATV and Sat Dish alternatives, Youtube TV, Netflix and Hulu are decent alternatives. Some fo the apps may be available to use via the Firestik. As we purchased new TVs over the last few years, we've been buying Roku TVs that have the Roku app built into the TV. Since you have a recent Firestik, it's possible many of the sites like Netflix and Hulu are available.

prcguy

I have a couple of Firesticks and find its ok for a person in no hurry to watch a movie but not so good for a family gathering to watch TV. It just takes too long to scroll through all the apps to find one that has the thing you want to watch, then going through all the servers to get the feed, etc. Its cool you can watch a new movie that just came out a few days ago but you better set aside some time to find it and get everything set up.

I like Netflix, for about $10/mo you can watch a lot of stuff and they have some great series that are produced by Netflix. Otherwise DirecTV was the best satellite service, although they have dropped some quality since ATT acquired them. I used to legally get everything, and I mean everything on DirecTV for free and even then there were times I couldn't find anything to watch.