what is a kenwood ts-50 worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scma127

Premium Subscriber
hello to all can anyone tell me what a kenwood ts-50 hf rig is worth in fair condition looking to buy one
and a astron rs 50 power supply help ty

zz0468

QRT
Banned
They're selling on eBay for $400 +/- $50. That's what people are actually paying for them.

Howdy_All

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You don't need a ASTRON 50 for that particular radio - or even to run your entire shack for that matter .

A Astron 35 will run most any rig along with a 50 watt mobile and a couple of lights - such as in the SWR meter just find.

I wouldn't recommend that particular model for someone who wants a good transceiver.

Cheap and good never walks hand in hand.
What you really want is a Kenwood TS 480 SAT or Kenwood TS 590 that has been gently used!

Never buy any radio that is unsupported by the manufacturer.
If there is issues - you might have a problem finding someone to repair it for you and the replacement parts might exceed the value of the radio. In the grand scheme of things - that radio might be 22 years old!

1OFGODSOWN

TS-50

There are PLENTY of repair shops that still work on the Kenwood TS-50.Just because Kenwood service centers do not is not the end of the world.Most parts are still out there as well.I'm an ICOM Man for the most part but currently own (2) TS-50's as well.I have owned a total of (3) so far & they are VERY dependable & work great as well.Great mobile or base HF radio & simple to operate for well under a grand in great condition most can be had for between $400 to $600 depending on what it has with it. {:>)

ab3a

I have a TS-50 and use it mobile. It is a good mobile radio but only a fair base radio. The receiver can overload a bit easier than many larger radios. Dr. Ulrich Rhode wrote an article about this some years ago. It turns out that the switching diodes impacted the performance more than one might have expected.

The TS-50 was designed to be small and simple to use on the road. For what it is, it's a nice radio.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The TS-50 was designed to be small and simple to use on the road. For what it is, it's a nice radio.
And, it pre-dated Icom's IC-706 HF/VHF mobile by about two years. Kenwood eventually stopped production of the TS-50 in favor of the TS-480 which is a decent mobile HF radio by virtue of its remote control head.

Status
Not open for further replies.