• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What is a pill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
a pill is a transistor usally mentioned when talking about a linear, some have 2 pills, some have 4, but the transistors can be different power, so you could have one pill driving 2 larger pills, depends on how much you want to spend you could get a linear with alot of pills.

LtDoc

A "pill" is slang for a transistor. A "100 watt pill" is a reference to the amount of output that transistor can produce.
Legal? I guess that's a matter of opinion and how the slang is used. Slang is just another name for something, it can be confusing, but I don't know about illegal. As for the power rating of a 'pill', that's just physics. Would a "100 watt pill" be legal for use with CB radio? If it's output power is limited to the regulation amount, there's nothing wrong with it. But, in most cases, sure, it would be illegal if ran at it's rated power level of 100 watts, and if it wasn't in the radio when it was approved for CB use, then it's a modification and illegal. Makes sense?
- 'Doc

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I this an amount of power or something? Is 100 watts a pill? Explain if you can. Is this legal? Ron

Would you like the blue one....or the red one? :twisted:
(Hint) Neither will work on your cb.

n9zas

prcguy

A pill is a term for transistors in CB amplifiers drummed up by an idiot. It would be similar to calling internal combustion engine pistons "turds" and my 5.7L V8 would then be an 8 turd.

Guess I shoulda got 4 turd for better gas mileage. Hey, how many turds ya got under your hood? I hear you can drill out them turd holes and put in bigger turds for more power. Yessir, I heard it on channel 3 so it must be true!
prcguy

Last edited:

Thayne

A pill is a term for CB amplifiers drummed up by an idiot. It would be similar to calling pistons turds and my 5.7L V8 would then be an 8 turd.Guess I shoulda got 4 turd for better gas mileage.
prcguy

We used to call Pontiacs "Pawntickets" :p

OCO

Seems like a reasonable nickname for something that looks like this...betcha other than the channel 6 "techs" might have called 'em that...

Attachments

• sd1446.jpg
    sd1446.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 5,641

stryker1

do you now see why it's called a pill?

aspirin.jpg

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
It's not at all uncommon for folks to come up with one or two syllable words to use in place of bigger ones.

For example, antennas have been called "spikes" at least since I got in the business in the early 1970's.

OCO

Well, I think the OP got his answer; I'm not sure why it's necessary to turn every thread that delves into possible illegal activities, such as was obvious here, into mud (or worse) slinging. I'm not sure if some of the posts were intended to insult the other people posting information to the thread or those that build RF amplifiers for use on the CB band, it sure could have been taken either way. I agree that the people in the business of building illegal RF amplifiers are wrong, but the direction taken in an attempt to express personal distaste for this activity borders on trolling...

Status
Not open for further replies.