What is a posse??

Status
Not open for further replies.

clawbennett

New to scanners in Michigan. What the heck is a "posse" referring to here? There was a MVA that they called for the posse to come out for traffic control.

I am assuming it's a group of people, but are they volunteers? Medical personnel? Fire? Police?

but are they volunteers? Medical personnel? Fire? Police?
All of the above...
I'm sure it's just "Lingo/Slang" for the normal complement of personnel based upon the incident.

pos•se pŏs′ē

• n.
    A group of civilians called upon by a sheriff or other law enforcement official to assist temporarily in preserving the peace or pursuing and arresting a fugitive.
  • n.
    A search party.
  • n.
    A gang involved in crimes such as running guns and illegal narcotics trafficking.

a417

based on the limited context you provided, it is something like a traffic control division, fire po-lice or some other recognized agency that handles the issue at hand.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
They are a division of a county's sheriff's department. They can be reserve deputies or volunteers or a combination of the two. Many posse units are mounted (horse) units, but they can also operate on foot or ATV's. They are used for crowd control at events, search and rescue, public relations, etc.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
New to scanners in Michigan. What the heck is a "posse" referring to here? There was a MVA that they called for the posse to come out for traffic control.

I am assuming it's a group of people, but are they volunteers? Medical personnel? Fire? Police?

Not commonly used term. Which jurisdiction used it?

Status
Not open for further replies.