• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

WHAT IS A Shakespeare Style 176

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

Found this in great condition. Does anyone know which model antenna this is and is it for CB? Is there anyway to tell what it is? It does say Shakespeare Style 176 on the bottom fiberglass? Ron

sjgostovich

?

Wouldn't that unit be tuned for the VHF hi marine band (like what you'd use to hail the coast gaurd from your vessle)? Not the actual "civilain band" (CB) that truckers and the motoring public use.

reedeb

Wouldn't that unit be tuned for the VHF hi marine band (like what you'd use to hail the coast gaurd from your vessle)? Not the actual "civilain band" (CB) that truckers and the motoring public use.

No it's for CB use Many boats used to or still do have CB's on em so they can chat with other boats. [I know MANY fishing boats use CB's to chit chat amongst themselves] Many also would have VHF radios as well but use another antenna for that one.

prcguy

The original 176 had an aluminum mounting pipe for home use and the connector was recessed in the pipe pointing down. The marine version has a small threaded chrome marine mount at the base and the coax connector sticks out the side of the mount. It's intended to have a second marine bracket mid way up the lower tube to take stress off the lower mount.
prcguy

Essentially an end-fed 1/2 wave for 11 meters. It has a pretty lossy matching network in the bottom section to get the impedance to 50 ohms. They work quite well though and are fairly broadbanded.

prcguy

Its a center fed coaxial dipole and the only matching is a critical length of coax inside. Don't confuse the Shakespeare 176 "Big Stick" with an Antron or Imax.

Shakespeare made the 3 piece Army Big Stick and another variant much later and these were end fed 5/8 or .64 wavelength.
prcguy

Essentially an end-fed 1/2 wave for 11 meters. It has a pretty lossy matching network in the bottom section to get the impedance to 50 ohms. They work quite well though and are fairly broadbanded.

darticus

Is the Antron or Imax or Big Stick better than each other? Are they about the same. Thanks Ron

Its a center fed coaxial dipole and the only matching is a critical length of coax inside. Don't confuse the Shakespeare 176 "Big Stick" with an Antron or Imax.

Shakespeare made the 3 piece Army Big Stick and another variant much later and these were end fed 5/8 or .64 wavelength.
prcguy

lep

The spec sheet clearly says (gain = 7.65 dbi) so the anwer is "referenced to an imaginary isotropic antenna."

darticus

I asked if the Antron, Imax or Big stick was better, but it looks like the Big Stick has a better db gain of 7.65. This is better than the newer antennaS. Am I reading this correctly? Ron

nd5y

The spec sheet clearly says (gain = 7.65 dbi) so the anwer is "referenced to an imaginary isotropic antenna."

I didn't see the "i" in the top section. The table just says dB. That still means they lie about their gain figures like most of the other antenna manufacturers do. A 1/2 wave antenna only has a gain of 2.1 dBi.

W2NJS

Their "misstatement" of the antenna's actual gain is probably prompted by the fact that their market for the antenna is the marine market selling to non-techie users, meaning boaters no disrespect. Still and all, with the antenna lengths listed they must have a lot of non-functional fiberglass in those units!

darticus

This thread sounds like a boring ham tread. I guess we are all about high tech cheap 100 dollar antennas. I guess it comes down to the three antennas are crap. I think I'll go with the coat hanger. Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.