What is a squaker on a radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Just heard a few GMRS guys talking about having a "squaker". Not sure if it's the brand name of a part or if it's a type of part. It sounded like it was some kind of mod to their radio. They also mentioned having updated firmware.

Gilligan

Database Admin
They were talking about adding MDC1200... Maybe they were talking about putting that on their radios? Doesn't that basically just add identification to a specific radio, so you know who's keying it up?

SCANdal

Silent Key
Gill,

That's correct. MDC1200 is one of many different forms of ANI - Automatic Number Identification; a transmitted signal that allows other recievers in the system know who is about to (if it's a pre-key signal - meaning it goes out before the voice message) or has just (if it's a post key signal - meaning that it goes out right after the user unkeys his radio) transmitted.

Whether it's a pre- or post- (or both) key signal is just a matter of how the radio's programmer opted to set up the system. Most public safety systems, FYI, send ANI (MDC-1200 or GEStar, etc.) post-key for safety reasons.

SCANdal

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
COPS dubs in squawks for effect???? :lol: One thing I noticed about this sort of audio is it's copied by a lot of media companies. Be it SimCity the video game or whatever, it's usually a small 4 second recording of audio from COPS. :lol: (I have good ears. I observe and remember)

Gilligan

Database Admin
So you're saying these GMRS guys probably just like the way it sounds and the fact that it identifies their radios to each other?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I have MDC enabled on my radio. It not only ID's my unit number, 505, but with the pre-tone, it's a good way to prevent talking before the repeater key's up.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Cops does insert some MDC tones here and there. They also insert other "ambient" noise during deadspace, which in my opinion, weakens the integrity of the show (it would be a definite no-no in journalism). They'll use MDC tones sirens, random beeps, the roar of an engine, squealing tires, anything basically. Sometimes they do it to hide "sensitive" information like last names, addresses, or Social Security numbers. You'll be surprised how "convenient" those squawks are when you listen closely for them! Most of the sound bites are stock and very generic, so some of them are easy to spot if you've already heard them in computer games, TV shows or movies.

Here's a funny MDC sound bite you guys will enjoy: http://dispatchesfromiowa.com/2009/04/audio-dmpd-wishes-304-a-happy-birthday/ -- dispatch wishes an officer a happy birthday and other units on the air do it in a unique way via their tones...

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
While on the subject of COPS, what would the crew do without their beloved Foley, the most overworked piece of equipment in the prod room? Two of the funniest things are hearing sounds on the ground from a helicopter and it seems like every cop shouts DOWN ON THE GROUND in the same voice. Heh, no wonder they have the nickname "popo" if you happen to know the original meaning. <scraaak> (;->)

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I love hearing MODAT on digital systems...

commscanaus

Yes, Cops does insert some MDC tones here and there. They also insert other "ambient" noise during deadspace, which in my opinion, weakens the integrity of the show (it would be a definite no-no in journalism). They'll use MDC tones sirens, random beeps, the roar of an engine, squealing tires, anything basically. Sometimes they do it to hide "sensitive" information like last names, addresses, or Social Security numbers. You'll be surprised how "convenient" those squawks are when you listen closely for them! Most of the sound bites are stock and very generic, so some of them are easy to spot if you've already heard them in computer games, TV shows or movies.

I'm a bigtime fan of COPS, which airs here on cable and occasionally on FTA.

The added sound effects also really irritate me, as I like to see what agencies are using in the way of radio systems. Newer episodes show P25 in use, then the shows producers add SELCALL and MDC1200 bursts here and there, which is just plain stupid. Agree also with the squealing tires. One episode depicted a very scary high speed pursuit, which had Bugs Bunny tire squeals added- even when the pursuit hit a dirt road!
It spoils an otherwise great show.

Commscanaus.

rmiller818

Whats even worse is watching worlds wildest police chases. You can hear the sirens and squealing tires (even on straight stretches) from the helicopter filming the thing. That and the reporter in the helicopter is always the same coast to coast, must be a busy guy. ;)

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
AND that reporter ALWAYS says "Code 4! Code 4!" It amazed me when I heard him in a police chase in one of the Metro Atlanta helicopters!

Status
Not open for further replies.