what is a traffic net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

Wirelessly posted (Tmobile G1: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

A local repeat has a traffic net every night... I was kind of wondering what it is what how I perticipate?

k9rzz

C'mon, throw us a bone and give us some details! Freq. and time maybe?

At the beginning of the net they should have a little announcement like: " This is the Central Ohio Traffic Net. This net meets on the frequency of xxx every xxx for the purpose of xxx ..... ". I would say just check in when the net control asks.

"Any check-ins please call KC8XYZ"

"KC8XYZ this is K9RZZ, no traffic"

Eventually, they will get around to you and ask you for your name and location and you'll be in!

n5ims

Monitoring the net for a few days prior to checking in should be useful in learning what is being transmitted, how it's formatted, and how the net operates. Most "traffic nets" are designed to transmit short messages from one person (not necessarily themselves a ham) to another (also not necessarily a ham). These nets were quite active prior to the time e-mail became widespread. Most traffic is either quick low priority traffic (like 'Happy birthday and hope your tech exam goes as well as your practice tests. Uncle Bob.') or summary reports from other nets being sent to area or region coordinators.

They are also quite useful in major wide spread emergencies, such as hurricanes where other forms of communication may be down for several days (think of Katrina where even cell phones were out for weeks). They provide practice and a pool of folks to handle the traffic for times when no other communication may be available.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sarcastic mode on.
This is (drop carrier and listen for a double) KB2VXA, no traffic.
Back when the American Radio Relay League actually was an organization for passing message traffic the nets had some significance as an alternate means of sending a telegram. These days the net control station opens the net and participating stations sign in with their callsigns followed by "no traffic". When they're all gathered together net control closes the net and a few remaining stations have a short gabfest, then all are gone. It's the same with MARS having so little to do it's obsolete and soon to fade into history. I no longer see the NTS messages on packet so I no longer distribute them to local hams, message traffic has become a thing of the past although I'm sure the EMCOM crowd would vehemently disagree but I digress.
This is KB2VXA, out.
Sarcastic mode off.

"They are also quite useful in major wide spread emergencies, such as hurricanes where other forms of communication may be down for several days (think of Katrina where even cell phones were out for weeks)."
See now this is exactly what I mean but unfortunately most are terribly uninformed. I monitored the frequencies the FCC set aside and heard nothing, not so much as a peep since hams in the affected area were off the air being in the same dire situation as everyone else. It was much later they began to pass health and welfare traffic which is the primary purpose these days. I've monitored quite a few storm emergencies over the years and it's pretty much the same thing, during the major ice storm that blanketed the Northeast a decade ago most of us lost our antennas so we concentrated efforts on keeping public service systems on the air. Our antennas aren't bulletproof and the fact of the matter we're worse off than emergency services having state of the art systems designed for survivability, that's why they are at the fore and we provide other services quietly in the background, times have changed.

"They provide practice and a pool of folks to handle the traffic for times when no other communication may be available."
I can't disagree with that but in light of the above I can only agree in part. Practice is essential for proper communications in times of need but the need has changed drastically. I wish the EMCOM folks would come up with something more believable than that "when no other communication may be available" mantra, it's so misleading it's a joke to hams who know the real purpose of what we do and how we do it.

OK, now crucify me.

k9rzz

I have always been temped to check into the local public service net with traffic just to see what they would do:

"KB9Q ... K9RZZ traffic ... one through." Ha Ha !

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
ok, all this info helps... it was just a bit confusing to listen to...

They may have been passing ARRL numbered messages making them hard to understand as a casual listener. This link outlines how to formatt such a message and what each number means.

Radiogram With Numbers | nts.ema.arrl.org

This is the E. Mass traffic website it has alot of information that you may find helpful in understanding the NTS.

nts.ema.arrl.org

Status
Not open for further replies.