What is all that stuff on the top line of a pro-96?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmission

Reading through the owners manual, I didn't see any pics that gave a layout of the screen display. I know the book says what each line is but patience run very thin in my family :) . Was hoping someone could help my out greatly and describe what the top line of the Pro 96 is saying when in scan mode. It has some dots and arrows and zig-zags. In all that is there even a signal bar graph or something to let you know your signal strength?! AHHH... :eek:

Also, if anyone that is reading lives in lucas county OH, which DSP has worked better for you? The 1.4V or 1.2V? I've read 1.2V works better so I put that in and much less digital motor boating. But am I really missing out on some other channels that never got decoded with the 1.2V?

-Justin

hoser147

The dots are were a bank is locked out, when open it is a number 0-9 also on the top line Rt corner it should mark the type system( MO for Moto. ED for EDACS etc) the arrow is scan up or down. DG stands for digital signal.There is alot of information in the Wiki in the bar on top of the page that will help you to figure your scanner out and help you to program it. Hope this helps, Hoser

mikey60

Reading through the owners manual, I didn't see any pics that gave a layout of the screen display. I know the book says what each line is but patience run very thin in my family :) . Was hoping someone could help my out greatly and describe what the top line of the Pro 96 is saying when in scan mode. It has some dots and arrows and zig-zags. In all that is there even a signal bar graph or something to let you know your signal strength?! AHHH... :eek:

Also, if anyone that is reading lives in lucas county OH, which DSP has worked better for you? The 1.4V or 1.2V? I've read 1.2V works better so I put that in and much less digital motor boating. But am I really missing out on some other channels that never got decoded with the 1.2V?

-Justin

Don Starr did this map of the Pro-96 display years ago. Here's a link to that...

http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win96/PRO-96Display.pdf

Mike

newmission - I've tried both PRO96 firmwares, and neither is any good at my location near St. Anne's Hospital in Toledo. I've tried an 800MHz beam antenna with no improvement yet. Roughly, where are you located?
I'm thinking I should have saved my money and bought the PSR 500 scanner instead, as I've heard that it can decode the Lucas County P25 CAI simulcast system better - still not perfect, but better. RS will probably have a different radio a year down the road too.

Surprisingly, MARCS has only one tower instead of 12 and less power, yet their audio is much much better than the multi-site Lucas County system and 95% readable, vs 60% readable on LC.

newmission

newmission - I've tried both PRO96 firmwares, and neither is any good at my location near St. Anne's Hospital in Toledo. I've tried an 800MHz beam antenna with no improvement yet. Roughly, where are you located?
I'm thinking I should have saved my money and bought the PSR 500 scanner instead, as I've heard that it can decode the Lucas County P25 CAI simulcast system better - still not perfect, but better. RS will probably have a different radio a year down the road too.

Surprisingly, MARCS has only one tower instead of 12 and less power, yet their audio is much much better than the multi-site Lucas County system and 95% readable, vs 60% readable on LC.

I live toward the Lewis and Sylvania Ave area by Mancy's Steak. I'm using the RS800 antenna and seem so get 95% readable signal on the P25 system. I can get Sylvania PD pretty clear most of the time and down into Maumee and some Wood Co too. I have an older 96 I got off ebay and the CPU is 1.2 with DSP voc 1.0. Don't really know what the newer versions are but I seem to be having better decoding with the 1.2 firmware version here.

Thanks for all the info in the display! Still jealous of the 396 and 500. But how often am I staring at the display to worry about it.

Are there any tweaks for the trunking delay or any tricks that make the 96 pick up 800 better?

-Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.