What is best way to mate SMA-Female to RG-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskt_Case

Ok, probably getting this antenna and it comes with RG-6 terminated with Male F-Connectors.

My HomePatrol-1 has a Female SMA. So, by my logic, all I need is an SMA-Male to F-Female adapter.

I'm currently in shopping overload and getting frustrated. This should be a fairly easy hookup if I just knew the right place to look. Could someone kindly point me in the right direction here? I know this can be done fairly cheap and efficiently. I am not scared to crimp on new connectors if need be. I have found some adapters but the shipping quotes are insane (from China) and I would prefer not to use Ebay.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The chances of you finding a decent F-Female to SMA-Male adapter are pretty slim. The antenna comes with an F-Female to BNC-Male adapter, which means what you really need is a BNC-Female to SMA-Male adapter. I'm not sure if the HP comes with the adapter like the other Uniden scanners do, but they're easy to find if you don't have one.

Baskt_Case

The chances of you finding a decent F-Female to SMA-Male adapter are pretty slim. The antenna comes with an F-Female to BNC-Male adapter, which means what you really need is a BNC-Female to SMA-Male adapter. I'm not sure if the HP comes with the adapter like the other Uniden scanners do, but they're easy to find if you don't have one.

Yea, I was trying to avoid "doubling-up" on adapters to avoid signal loss.

I finnally found a U.S. seller on Ebay who has this SMA Male to F Female adapter for about $5 shipped. Debating...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
$4.80 with free shipping? Definitely worth taking a shot. Seller has no negative feedback for a full year, that's rare doing that much volume.

W2NJS

Here's the guy most of us around here use:

The RF Connection Home Page

He's 100% reliable, takes phone orders, and offers most connectors and adapters in a choice of imported (cheap) or domestic (cost more) versions, and he attends and supports hamfests.

Baskt_Case

Pulled the trigger...

Well, originally did not want to double up on adapters but for the sake of convenience I went ahead and bought the Antennacraft ST-2 which comes with a F to BNC, then I bought this BNC to SMA. Got them both from Universal, not the lowest price, but ultimately the best deal when shipping was counted.

Still have to consider running the line through a ground block on the side of the house, which will probably do the most harm signal wise. At least that was always my experience when I use to install DBS systems. Would have added one to the order at Universal but surprisingly I could not find them. I think their only a few bucks at WalMart anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.