Yaesu: What is equivelent to a Yaesu FT-840

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9upc

Our current product line does not have a direct replacement. In regards to size or some what form factor it would be the FT-991A.

The closest, but no longer in production radio, would have been the FT-450 series.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I got burned on a external power supply so am hesitant getting another HF with external power supply. Seems everything requires a external power supply.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I got burned on a external power supply so am hesitant getting another HF with external power supply. Seems everything requires a external power supply.

Almost every radio has an external power supply these days, outside some of the super expensive ones. I don't mind...I would rather replace an external power supply than send the entire radio back to have an internal supply replaced. My Astrons have been running for over 25 years without a single issue.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Almost every radio has an external power supply these days, outside some of the super expensive ones. I don't mind...I would rather replace an external power supply than send the entire radio back to have an internal supply replaced. My Astrons have been running for over 25 years without a single issue.
Agree 100% I've got Astrons and a couple of Samlex that just keep on running! Not sure how the OP got burned, but a fused line to the PS is a must. Maybe even crowbar protection, either built in or added!!! If you really don't like a PS, get a deep cycle marine battery and run the rig off that! I've not seen a 991A but many a 7300! Nice rig....very nice!!!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The FT-991A covers 2 meters and 440 in addition to the HF frequencies. It has a built in tuner, good audio on transmit and receive, 100 watts on HF, 50 on 2 and 440. It is not the simplest to use because the majority of functions are done with the touch display. I use both a vertical and an end fed antennas, and the tuner works well with both.

prcguy

Icom advertises the 7300 as an entry level transceiver. It's not their cheapest and the 718 is cheaper with less features but I would rather see someone get a 7300, enjoy all its features and not have to upgrade when they experience a 7300 later and can't live without one. A nice clean used 7300 runs about $300 more than a new 718 but the difference in performance and features is many times that. In fact when I ended up with two 7300s last year I sold one for $750 and it was perfect, so good deals are out there.

Icom 7300 'entry level radio'??? I thought that was the Icom 718 at half the price.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
As has been noted in this thread, the Icom 7300 and Yaesu FT991 offer a lot of additional capability (bands, modes, spectrum display) for only a bit more price. I wouldn't buy an HF transceiver that did not have a built-in soundcard modem. This permits connection to a computer with a simple USB cable to handle any of the digital modes. And before you say "never", be careful because "never" is absolute and these forums are filled with hams who said "never" and now wish
- they could do digital modes without spending $100-$200 more on an external modem and cables
- they had digital when they discovered the ARES, ARC, EOC, or other "served agency" they started volunteering with wanted the capability
- their radio had a built-in sound card, and additional bands / modes so it brought a higher trade-in / resale value
- they had known that even the "dead bands" ( where they are hearing no SSB phone activity) are in fact alive with digital QSOs
- they realized there was more to ham radio than making voice contacts (ARRL says the majority of HF QSOs are now digital)
So think carefully before you opt for that "entry-level" bare bones radio. Over time it may end up costing more than you expected.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Had a IC 705 and sold it. Nice radio for scanning the HF bands. Since I don't transmit (no license), the cheapest radio would probably work for me.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Since you don't need to transmit, why not get a good general coverage receiver? You can get a very capable receiver for the same.... or less money than a transceiver.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
I know several very long-time Hams (hams for longer than me, which is a LONG time), who were military radio ops, etc. who have IC-7300's, have tried other radios of similar list $$, and don't feel they need anything more. That is a pretty good reference for the 7300 vs. anything else, IMHO.

Once you've had a waterfall display, it's hard to be without one, and the 7300 waterfall is OK.

The only Astron supply I have ever go bad on me is one that I broke. And I fixed it. I wouldn't damn all external supplies because of one bad experience, as long as the next one is Astron, Samlex, Daiwa...

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Since you don't need to transmit, why not get a good general coverage receiver? You can get a very capable receiver for the same.... or less money than a transceiver.
I have a R30 but wanting a desktop rig. Like using a big knob to scroll through the frequencies. An R75 would be nice but not available anymore. Have any suggestions?

Yeah K7NG, after having a waterfall display, I may regret not getting the 7300. Have to wait until october or november before I decide so have time to keep looking. Did suggest to Icom to make a desktop version of the R30 with a bigger display but doubt they will consider since the 8600 is there baby. If I had the bucks, would get one in a heart beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.